Old 13-05-2004, 02:03 AM
David Ross

Default Azalea Cuttings

About two months ago, I took greenwood cuttings of 'George Taber',
a Southern Indica azalea. I used rooting hormone powder and potted
the shoots in a 50-50 mix of peat moss and plaster sand (no added
nutrients). Then, I put the bottom of a cut-off liter soda bottle
over the pot to act as a greenhouse. The pot is in a greenhouse
window on the north side of my house.

The shoots are still alive and seem to be growing new foliage. But
there are no roots yet. About how long should it take for these
cuttings to root?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 14-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 12 May 2004 18:01:17 -0700, David Ross
wrote:

About two months ago, I took greenwood cuttings of 'George Taber',
a Southern Indica azalea. I used rooting hormone powder and potted
the shoots in a 50-50 mix of peat moss and plaster sand (no added
nutrients). Then, I put the bottom of a cut-off liter soda bottle
over the pot to act as a greenhouse. The pot is in a greenhouse
window on the north side of my house.

The shoots are still alive and seem to be growing new foliage. But
there are no roots yet. About how long should it take for these
cuttings to root?

Don't know about cuttings, but azaleas are easily propagated by
layering -- bend a branch down to the ground and put a rock on it.
Approx. The time involved is around 3 months for a sustaining root
system to have developed. Not that rooting in water or soilless medium
should take that long.

[IMG] code is On

Azalea cuttings Snogoose Australia 4 19-11-2003 09:22 AM
[IBC] Azalea cuttings Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 18-04-2003 04:56 PM
azalea cuttings Mike Bonsai 0 18-04-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] Rooting Azalea cuttings Peter Le Roux Bonsai 0 25-03-2003 02:32 PM