Old 18-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Azalea cuttings

What is the best time of the year to get azalea cuttings for rooting?
Is woody, green or in-between the best type?

****** You may get better answers than mine, but the best time for Azalea
cuttings for me is just after the plants have bloomed. * The best kind if
wood is in-between. * What one book I have calls "firm wood" cuttings. * Not
the limp green growth and not the hard wood that breaks fairly clean when
bent but the firm wood which will not break all the way through when bent,
but splinters.
****** Brent Watson at A HREF="www.evergreengardenworks.com"www.evergreengardenworks.com/A has some great tutorials
on rooting cuttings.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 18-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Jim Lewis

What is the best time of the year to get azalea cuttings for
rooting?
Is woody, green or inbetween the best type?

Whenever you are trimming your plants. While "in between" may be
best, in my experience most azalea cuttings will root at most any
time (except outdoors in midwinter). Use rooting hormone.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-04-2003, 04:56 PM
kevin bailey

Billy is right. Wait for the new shoots to extend to a few inches and
all the new leaves to harden off. Snap the stems off cleanly where they
join last years growth. Strip off the lowest leaves. Hormone dip and
root in a 50/50 peat and drainage material such as sharp sand or
vermiculite. Keep in partial shade and mist regularly. I don't water the
soil on mine again until I notice new growth. Some root in a month or so
and others take 2 or 3 months.

Good luck

Kev Bailey

********
********
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Azalea Cuttings David Ross Gardening 1 14-05-2004 03:05 PM
Azalea cuttings Snogoose Australia 4 19-11-2003 09:22 AM
azalea cuttings Mike Bonsai 0 18-04-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] Rooting Azalea cuttings Peter Le Roux Bonsai 0 25-03-2003 02:32 PM