Old 16-05-2004, 05:04 AM
RWL

Default Rain & Fruit Tree Spraying

It seems like it's been raining in central PA every other day. It was
like this last year, and I didn't bother to spray for coddling moth at
all, and every apple had a worm. This year I'm following the typical
schedule of spraying every 2 weeks.

I felt lucky to have the spray last 24 hours before the next rain.
What do commercial growers do in these conditions?

Certainly the rain must wash some / most of the spray off. How much
good does the spray do when it rains frequently?

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

Old 18-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Nasmen

I felt lucky to have the spray last 24 hours before the next rain.
What do commercial growers do in these conditions? BRBR

As long as the spray has time to dry before it rains, it will be effective. If
it rains every day, you should shorten the interval before the next spray.

I would suggest getting a spray guide from your county extension agent. If I
remember correctly, the first three sprays after bloom should be at one week
intervals, then two weeks after thqt.

John C. Schmid

Old 18-05-2004, 04:06 AM
RWL

I felt lucky to have the spray last 24 hours before the next rain.
What do commercial growers do in these conditions? BRBR

As long as the spray has time to dry before it rains, it will be effective. If
it rains every day, you should shorten the interval before the next spray.

I would suggest getting a spray guide from your county extension agent. If I
remember correctly, the first three sprays after bloom should be at one week
intervals, then two weeks after thqt.

John C. Schmid

Thanks. That's the kind of information I was looking for.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

Old 18-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Sherwin Dubren

You may also want to add a 'sticker' material to your spray mixture. It will
help keep the spray material on the tree longer. Inquire at your
supplier about 'sticker'. You might find it at Meninger's or Leonard's
through a catalog. It is most economical if you buy a large size. I have
a lifetime supply bought from Garden's Alive, but I haven't seem it in their
catalog lately.

Sherwin Dubren