Old 23-05-2004, 07:08 AM
Misstiblu

Default Sun/Shade definitions...

Hi everyone...have a question I need answered...if someone could help.

I am in Zone 3 - Northwestern Ontario.

My back yard faces East - along the North side is the fence (4 feet
high and rather "solid" - not much spacing between boards.
The sun is on the "other" side of that fence - leaving a "shady strip"
where my flower bed is (runs the whole length of that fence).

Is this area considered Shady or Partly Shady??

THREE different employees at the greenhouses I was in
(yep...asked them all....) said that plants wanting "sun to partial
shade" would be fine there - they suggested:

- Calamintha grandiflora "variegata"
- Paeonia
- Bleeding heart
- Balloon Flower - Platycodon grandiflorum

I am not so sure.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Misstiblu
Old 23-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Misstiblu" wrote in message
Hi everyone...have a question I need answered...if someone could help.

I am in Zone 3 - Northwestern Ontario.

My back yard faces East - along the North side is the fence (4 feet
high and rather "solid" - not much spacing between boards.
The sun is on the "other" side of that fence - leaving a "shady strip"
where my flower bed is (runs the whole length of that fence).

Is this area considered Shady or Partly Shady??

THREE different employees at the greenhouses I was in
(yep...asked them all....) said that plants wanting "sun to partial
shade" would be fine there - they suggested:

- Calamintha grandiflora "variegata"
- Paeonia
- Bleeding heart
- Balloon Flower - Platycodon grandiflorum

I am not so sure.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Misstiblu

The north side of a fence (or any other strucure) is generally considered to
be mostly shade, but not necessarily heavy shade. Of the plants mentioned, I
would consider only the bleeding hearts well suited to this environment -
the others would prefer much more sun. Otheres you could consider for this
area are columbines, hostas, astilbe, campanulas, Japanese anemones or any
other part shade lovers. There are many lists of available of shade loving
plants.

pam - gardengal

[IMG] code is On

Plumeria Plants – Part I – Terms And Definitions For Plumerias & Tropical Plants BobWalsh Gardening 5 19-04-2011 11:46 PM
Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM
Sun in Summer, Shade in Winter Katie Tarrant Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Sun in Summer, Shade in Winter Katie Tarrant Australia 0 19-03-2003 05:08 AM