Old 25-05-2004, 04:02 PM
paghat

Default Let's Play "Name That Wildflower!"

In article ,
(paghat the ratgirl) wrote:

Here are some tiny flowering weeds or wildflowers photographed around the
edges of our property. I wonder if anyone can name any of these:

A bright blue flower, shown bigger than life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildflowerblue_may.jpg

Thanks to all who've assisted. This one was correctly identified as
Phacelia campanularia, Desert Bluebell

A bright purple pea-like flower, bigger than life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildflowerpurple_may.jpg

This one was correctly identified as Linaria, but the species appears to
be morocanna.

The other three are still mysteries:

An extremely tiny (one inch tall) wild groundcover with eency yellow
flowers, which is certainly a locally native wildflower around Puget
Sound:
http://www.paghat.com/images/littleyellowweed_ap.jpg

The last two came out of a so-called western wildflower seed mix, but the
name of the mix obviously didn't mean only wildflowers actually native to
the west.

A bright orange daisy-like thing, shown bigger than life size, three
inches tall:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildflowerorange_may.jpg

This seems to be a volunteer alyssum but its so much smaller than any
cultivated alyssum I've seen; shown twice life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildalyssum_may.jpg

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"