Old 26-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Ignoramus29645

Default COMPOST PILE:Turning over, and lime

I have a compost pile and asked earlier whether turning it over was
necessary. It was difficult to do with a shovel. Well, I went out and
bought a very nice "Earth Tools" garden fork with neoprene, fiberglass
handles, etc etc. Turning over compost with that fork is trivial!

I could see quite good rotting action inside the pile, as well.

Also saw a black mouse living there. It is amazing that the compost
was comprised of wet chicken shit and stuff, and yet the mouse was
completely clean looking.

Now, a question: I heard that adding a bit of lime to compost would
speed up rotting and make better compost. Is that true? Why? If it is
true, how much lime to add?

Old 26-05-2004, 05:02 PM
nswong

Hi,

"Ignoramus29645" wrote in
message ...

Now, a question: I heard that adding a bit of lime to compost would
speed up rotting and make better compost. Is that true? Why? If it

is
true, how much lime to add?

Earlier, people believe adding a small amout of lime or wood ashes
will help to speed up decomposition at earlier stage, especially pine
needles and other acidic are in great amount. But latest they said
it's not recommended anymore.

This is from my compost notes, don't know where it come from already.

[Compost notes start]

It was once thought that ground limestone should be added to the
compost pile. This is no longer considered necessary since the
organisms function well with a pH of between 4.2 and 7.2. The compost
naturally will become less acid as it matures. Adding lime helps
convert ammonium nitrogen to ammonia gas, which can create an odor
problem as it escapes from the pile and can reduce the nutrient
content of the finished compost. Adding lime may also cause the pH of
the finished compost to be higher than optimal for plant growth.

[Compost notes end]

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Old 26-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Ignoramus29645

In article , nswong wrote:
Hi,

"Ignoramus29645" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Thanks, I guess I won't do it.

Regards,
Wong

Old 26-05-2004, 06:02 PM
cat daddy

"Ignoramus29645" wrote in message
In article , nswong wrote:
Hi,

"Ignoramus29645" wrote in
message ...

[...]

If you want to speed up the compost and don't have enough green material,
soak a bag of rabbit food from a feed store (alfalfa pellets) and mix it in.

Old 26-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Ignoramus29645

In article , cat daddy wrote:

"Ignoramus29645" wrote in message
In article , nswong wrote:
Hi,

"Ignoramus29645" wrote in
message ...

[...]

I have plenty of green material from chicken bedding. I probably do not
have enough brown material.

Old 26-05-2004, 06:05 PM
cat daddy

In article , cat daddy wrote:

"Ignoramus29645" wrote in message
In article , nswong wrote:
Hi,

"Ignoramus29645" wrote in
message ...

[...]

I've included shredded brown paper lawn bags, grocery sacks and soy-ink
newspapers when that happens.........

Old 26-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Phisherman

On 26 May 2004 14:21:24 GMT, Ignoramus29645
wrote:

I have a compost pile and asked earlier whether turning it over was
necessary. It was difficult to do with a shovel. Well, I went out and
bought a very nice "Earth Tools" garden fork with neoprene, fiberglass
handles, etc etc. Turning over compost with that fork is trivial!

I could see quite good rotting action inside the pile, as well.

Also saw a black mouse living there. It is amazing that the compost
was comprised of wet chicken shit and stuff, and yet the mouse was
completely clean looking.

Now, a question: I heard that adding a bit of lime to compost would
speed up rotting and make better compost. Is that true? Why? If it is
true, how much lime to add?

There are a number of ways to speed the composting process (proper
brown/green mix, moisture, air, temperature, etc). Compost typically
buffers the pH to neutral. Do not add lime unless you plan to use it
for alkaline-loving plants. Stick to adding organic materials to the
compost.

Old 27-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Henry Etta

"Ignoramus29645" wrote in message
In article , nswong wrote:
Hi,

"Ignoramus29645" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Also be kind to the mouse, after all that is his home.

Henry