Old 26-05-2004, 09:03 PM
TomM in NY

Default What tree in the NE will rot the slowest?

I want to make garden edging out of 3-4" diameter logs, 8 to 10" long that are
placed vertically in the ground. I don't want to buy plastic or pressure
treated edging that I have seen at the home centers... What type of tree cut
up in this manner would last the longest in the ground, untreated, that is
native to the central NY area?
Thanks in advance!
tom

Old 26-05-2004, 10:02 PM
paghat

In article ,
(TomM in NY) wrote:

I want to make garden edging out of 3-4" diameter logs, 8 to 10" long

that are
placed vertically in the ground. I don't want to buy plastic or pressure
treated edging that I have seen at the home centers... What type of tree cut
up in this manner would last the longest in the ground, untreated, that is
native to the central NY area?
Thanks in advance!
tom

Northern white cedar. Highly rot resistant woods from other regions
include Western red cedar, Southern cypress, & Redwood.

But if you made an edging out of a wood that does rat within a few years,
the types of fungus that interact where the wood touches the soil are
healthful for the garden, & ultra-essential for some kinds of plants like
vacciniums or dogwoods; plus it provides habitat for edible or just
mushrooms & decorative turkeytails which don't do as well on rot-resistant
cedar. If the edging is easy enough to make, it can be replaced about
every four or five years, whenever the previous edging has just about
turned to good soil amendment. I have made edging out of fat birch limbs &
quite enjoyed watching them rot away, & the plantlife loved it.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 27-05-2004, 02:05 AM
John McGaw

"TomM in NY" wrote in message
I want to make garden edging out of 3-4" diameter logs, 8 to 10" long

that are
placed vertically in the ground. I don't want to buy plastic or pressure
treated edging that I have seen at the home centers... What type of tree

cut
up in this manner would last the longest in the ground, untreated, that is
native to the central NY area?
Thanks in advance!
tom

If you can get it, osage orange is probably unbeatable. It grows wild around
here although not in great numbers. It is not what I'd call an beautiful
tree but the wood has properties that are quite outstanding.

http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/osage-orange.htm

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 27-05-2004, 03:05 AM
Pam - gardengal

"TomM in NY" wrote in message
I want to make garden edging out of 3-4" diameter logs, 8 to 10" long

that are
placed vertically in the ground. I don't want to buy plastic or pressure
treated edging that I have seen at the home centers... What type of tree

cut
up in this manner would last the longest in the ground, untreated, that is
native to the central NY area?
Thanks in advance!
tom

While not specifically native to the NY area, black locust or Robinia
pseudoacacia is an extremely durable wood with well known properties for
long term contact with soil. It is used extensively for fence posts. It is
native to large parts of the eastern seaboard to the Appalachian Mts and
into parts of the midwest and is very commonly grown throughout all other
areas of the country.

http://www.blacklocust.org/whylocust.html

pam - gardengal

Old 27-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Mike LaMana

Eastern recedar (Juniperus virginiana) - the red heartwood will last more or
less indefinitely. And the darned things are everywhere up your way - look
in old farm fields let go in the 1920-1940's

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

"TomM in NY" wrote in message
I want to make garden edging out of 3-4" diameter logs, 8 to 10" long

that are
placed vertically in the ground. I don't want to buy plastic or pressure
treated edging that I have seen at the home centers... What type of tree

cut
up in this manner would last the longest in the ground, untreated, that is
native to the central NY area?
Thanks in advance!
tom

[IMG] code is On

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
Rot discovered in Birch tree - Bronze Birch Borer ? Some Guy Lawns 6 11-07-2004 08:02 PM
Rot discovered in Birch tree - Bronze Birch Borer ? Some Guy Gardening 6 11-07-2004 08:02 PM
HELP - How to rot away a tree stump yabbadoo United Kingdom 0 14-06-2004 11:07 AM
Dragon Tree - root rot symptoms? TanQ10 Gardening 5 13-02-2004 11:12 PM