Old 26-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Rich

Default Spray to kill lawn grass?

I have a large gravel covered area and the black covering that goes beneath
it has rotted and torn away. Each week I find myself pulling more and more
grass out of the gravel.

Is there a spray to kill lawn grass (not just weeds)? Or do I have to shovel
all that rock out and place new plastic underneath? Ugh. It's 100° outside
and I would hate to have to do that.

--
Remove _pooperscooper_ from email if you reply

Old 27-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Vox Humana

"Rich" wrote in message
I have a large gravel covered area and the black covering that goes

beneath
it has rotted and torn away. Each week I find myself pulling more and more
grass out of the gravel.

Is there a spray to kill lawn grass (not just weeds)? Or do I have to

shovel
all that rock out and place new plastic underneath? Ugh. It's 100° outside
and I would hate to have to do that.

You can use a total vegetation killer. Be sure to read the label because
you may not be able to use it where tree roots are below the surface. Most
of these herbicides claim to prevent regrowth for up to a year.

--
Remove _pooperscooper_ from email if you reply

Old 27-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Rich

I forgot to mention that I have a two year old boy who has a habit of
picking up rocks and licking them, or putting them in his mouth... when I'm
not looking of course. I catch him doing this every time I turn my back on
him. So this probably isn't a good idea, is it? Or, could it be sprayed off
the gravel and still be effective? I just don't know if this is a good idea
after all.

Old 27-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Chelsea Christenson

Rich wrote:
I forgot to mention that I have a two year old boy who has a habit of
picking up rocks and licking them, or putting them in his mouth... when I'm
not looking of course. I catch him doing this every time I turn my back on
him. So this probably isn't a good idea, is it? Or, could it be sprayed off
the gravel and still be effective? I just don't know if this is a good idea
after all.

Given the heat and the reflective surface of the rock, vinegar could do
the trick. Might also discourage rock tasting.

Old 27-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Phisherman

On Wed, 26 May 2004 15:00:12 -0700, "Rich"
wrote:

I have a large gravel covered area and the black covering that goes beneath
it has rotted and torn away. Each week I find myself pulling more and more
grass out of the gravel.

Is there a spray to kill lawn grass (not just weeds)? Or do I have to shovel
all that rock out and place new plastic underneath? Ugh. It's 100° outside
and I would hate to have to do that.

This is a regular maintenance problem with seeds blown in or taken in
by animals. There are several ways to deal with this problem. I
have used a propane torch to kill small amounts of unwanted grass, but
only when growing next to non-combustion materials. RoundUp or
Finale sprayed onto the grass should work.

Old 27-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Chelsea Christenson" wrote in message
Rich wrote:
I forgot to mention that I have a two year old boy who has a habit of
picking up rocks and licking them, or putting them in his mouth... when

I'm
not looking of course. I catch him doing this every time I turn my back

on
him. So this probably isn't a good idea, is it? Or, could it be sprayed

off
the gravel and still be effective? I just don't know if this is a good

idea
after all.

Given the heat and the reflective surface of the rock, vinegar could do
the trick. Might also discourage rock tasting.

This is an excellent idea, but I'd look for an acetic acid solution
formulated specifically for garden use. There is one available in this area
called 'Blackberry and Brush Blocker' and it is of much higher concentration
than simple household vinegar. It would certainly do the trick.

Even using something like RoundUp, which will certainly solve your weed
problem, your son would have to lick all of the gravel and probably still
wouldn't suffer much more than a nasty taste in his mouth. Still a practice
I would discourage, though :-)) Kids!!

pam - gardengal