Old 28-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Gloria

Default Clematis question

This is the first one I've had and it has been covered with dozens of
blooms. I don't know the name of it but the flowers are a deep lavender
color. Do I need to deadhead it ?

Thanks,
Gloria...zone 7...NE Alabama

---

Old 28-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Gloria" wrote in message
This is the first one I've had and it has been covered with dozens of
blooms. I don't know the name of it but the flowers are a deep lavender
color. Do I need to deadhead it ?

Thanks,
Gloria...zone 7...NE Alabama

Not necessary and the seedheads are often quite attractive. Deadheading a
clematis will not encourage (or discourage, for that matter) further
blooming.

pam - gardengal

Old 29-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Gloria

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message
Not necessary and the seedheads are often quite attractive. Deadheading a
clematis will not encourage (or discourage, for that matter) further
blooming.

pam - gardengal

Thanks Pam, I'm glad it's OK to keeop the seedheads, they are very pretty
too.

Gloria

---

Old 29-05-2004, 02:03 PM
madgardener

no, if you deadhead them you won't have those neat fuzzy seedheads that
remain on the vines long after the flowers are spent. And it sounds like
Jackmanii you have, which was the one that burst open when you and yer hubby
came by last week.........
madgardener with massive tip damage to my shrubs and trees due to all those
17 year cicada's now, and it's not over yet