Old 31-03-2003, 02:56 AM
jammer

Default Clematis Question

I have spent too much time looking for simple information!!

I can plant my clematis now in zone 7. I don't foresee any more
freezes. How far apart do they need to be? THANK YOU!
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 31-03-2003, 06:44 AM
Snowfeet1

I live in Dallas (zone 7B). I keep my Clematis in the ground all year long -
it's several years old and growing like crazy. I cut it back each fall.
Old 31-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Pam

jammer wrote:

I have spent too much time looking for simple information!!

I can plant my clematis now in zone 7. I don't foresee any more
freezes. How far apart do they need to be? THANK YOU!

As Kris mentioned, it depends on the type of clematis you are growing.
Most species clematis can reach considerable size and one to a trellis
is sufficient (perhaps MORE than sufficient in some cases). Large
flowering hybrids are much less rampant in their growth and you can
plant two similar pruning types together. It is really important for you
to know and remember what type of clematis you have as pruning
requirements can differ considerably from vine to vine.

If you are more specific on the clematis type, I can be more specific on
planting requirements.

pam - gardengal

Old 31-03-2003, 11:20 PM
jammer

Great.....
Well, it flowers small purple flowers and said seiboldi? on the
package. I remember that much.

The trellises are about 2 ft across and 1 1/2 ft apart. I dug around
really deep and found some roots i couldn't get rid of from previous
bushes. So i have 2 plants approx. 3 ft. apart.
This will no doubt be another gardening "live and learn" as i have
never had these before. (obviously) BUT, that's half the fun!

I feel i have the gardening green light now and am amazingly slow at
doing things. I was champing at the bit for the last 2 months and now
i think i just don't want to do it all at once and have nothing to do.

I going out to water the tomato plants.

Old 31-03-2003, 11:56 PM
KrisHur

Probably "Sieboldia Superba". It's in the Viticella (sp?) family. If it is
this one expect it to get about 12' and is fairly thick. Light pruning at
the end of the year, just enough to create a main framework.

One plant would probably cover the space really well. You may want to dig
one up and find another home for it before they get started but you could
let them go this year and if they overwhelm the space, early next spring dig
one up and find another home for it.

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY

Old 01-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Pam

KrisHur wrote:

Probably "Sieboldia Superba". It's in the Viticella (sp?) family. If it is
this one expect it to get about 12' and is fairly thick. Light pruning at
the end of the year, just enough to create a main framework.

One plant would probably cover the space really well. You may want to dig
one up and find another home for it before they get started but you could
let them go this year and if they overwhelm the space, early next spring dig
one up and find another home for it.

Kris, are you sure of this name? I am unfamiliar with a clematis cultivar of
this name (like I would know them all, anyway......lol). What comes to mind for
me is 'Hybrida Sieboldii" (also known as 'Ramona') or C. florida 'Sieboldii'.
Ramona has dark purple flowers and 'Sieboldii" has white flowers with dark
purple stamens. Both would work well on the size trellis the OP mentions, but
Sieboldii is a little trickier to grow. Not exactly the clematis of choice for a
newbie.

pam - gardengal

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY

Old 01-04-2003, 04:32 AM
paghat

In article , Pam wrote:

KrisHur wrote:

[...]

"Ramona" "Sieboldii" "Sieboldia Superba" & "Hybrida Sieboldii" are all the
same cultivar. It is indeed categorized as a "Viticella Group" clematis
even while listed as a cultivar of C. florida. I presume the "hybrida"
means it is partly C. viticella. But I've frequently found certain
cultivars on "lists" categorized by this or that "group" even though the
immediate generation of hybridization wouldn't suggest the particular
group to me. Contractory hybrid histories seem to abound among clematis
commentaries & discriptions -- whether from often repeated errors, or
because they really are very mixed up crosses of crosses of crosses.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 01-04-2003, 07:32 AM
jammer

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:33:36 -0500, "KrisHur"
wrote:

Probably "Sieboldia Superba". It's in the Viticella (sp?) family. If it is
this one expect it to get about 12' and is fairly thick. Light pruning at
the end of the year, just enough to create a main framework.

One plant would probably cover the space really well. You may want to dig
one up and find another home for it before they get started but you could
let them go this year and if they overwhelm the space, early next spring dig
one up and find another home for it.

Thank you VERY much!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 01-04-2003, 01:32 PM
KrisHur

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , Pam wrote:

KrisHur wrote:

[...]

Ramona has a large lavender flower while Sieboldia Superba (several
spellings are out there Sieboldia, Sieboldii, Sieboldi) has little dark
purple flowers as the OP mentioned.

See:
Ramona
http://clematis.org/clematis_a-z/ind...=view&ID=00264

Sieboldia Superba
http://www.clematis.sunstone.se/en/pictures.html
(scroll down to Sieboldia Superba)

Although frequently listed as a Sieboldia hybrid, I was told that Ramona was
is actually a languosa (sp?) hybrid. Perhaps a hybrid of the two, but it
looks *much* more like a languosa than a sieboldia.

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY

Old 02-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Pam

KrisHur wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , Pam wrote:

KrisHur wrote:

[...]

Okay, now I'm really confused!! According to a noted clematis expert, 'Sieboldia
Superba' is not a cultivar recognized by the ICS, there is not a sieboldii
'group' and he has never heard of it........so where does that leave us?
Obviously, someone is growing a clematis under that cultivar name but is it a
distinct and separate cultivar? Clematis colorations are notoriously misleading
and seem to change based on soil conditions and degree of sun exposure. I've
seen photos of Ramona as dark and as small flowered as many of the viticellas
and other photos of it a more lavender and with larger flowers. Go figure ! It
is not one of the 55 I grow, so I can't comment from personal experience. C
florida 'Sieboldii' is, of course, a totally different plant altogether - white
flowered, not a hybrid and is not included in the viticella group - the floridas
are a group unto themselves and include various double forms, like 'Belle of
Woking' and 'Vyvyan Pennell'.

Jammer, it's your plant - hope you can shed more light on its ID :-)) Which ever
it is, one to a trellis should be more than sufficient, but it would really help
to know exactly which clematis it is when pruning requirement are considered.

pam - gardengal

Old 02-04-2003, 07:32 AM
jammer

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 04:57:11 GMT, Pam wrote:

Jammer, it's your plant - hope you can shed more light on its ID :-)) Which ever
it is, one to a trellis should be more than sufficient, but it would really help
to know exactly which clematis it is when pruning requirement are considered.

pam - gardengal

Well, i guess i will just have to wait and see what happens. Due to
some really narly roots, i had to plant them where i could. They are
about 4 ft apart.
(I saw you over on GWeb)

jammer