Old 29-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Pat Keith

Default Grape Seedlings

I have some volunteer grapes starting from a pile of seed I dumped last
fall. Are they worth saving?

Old 29-05-2004, 07:02 PM
David Ross

Pat Keith wrote:

I have some volunteer grapes starting from a pile of seed I dumped last
fall. Are they worth saving?

This depends on the variety of the grape. If the seeds were from
Concord, Catawba, or other American varieties, they can grow quite
well. If they were from a European variety, they are highly
susceptable to a root disease that will eventually kill the plant.
European grapes are grafted onto American rootstock, even in
Europe.

Note that you might not get exactly the same fruit as the parent.
I don't know if grapes bread true from seed. The usual method of
propagation of American grapes is through cuttings and of European
grapes is through grafting onto rooted American cuttings.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 30-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

David Ross in :

Pat Keith wrote:

I have some volunteer grapes starting from a pile of seed I dumped last
fall. Are they worth saving?

This depends on the variety of the grape. If the seeds were from
Concord, Catawba, or other American varieties, they can grow quite
well. If they were from a European variety, they are highly
susceptable to a root disease that will eventually kill the plant.
European grapes are grafted onto American rootstock, even in
Europe.

Since you mentoin europe, the reason for grafting you imply is probably
Phylloxera. Variables such as clay, sand, moisture affect the insect's
lifecycle and spread. (i may have read that elswhere than in the textbook
linked below.)

I strongly doubt that mass retail (walmart, home depot) grapes are
grafted. But if so, you'd see the graft when buying the plant.

AFAIK, all amer and hyb are susceptible to phylloxera. even most (all?) of
the 'resistant' rootstocks have been damaged by phylloxera in some
vineyard conditions. but this is economically irrelevant for homeowners.

Note that you might not get exactly the same fruit as the parent.
I don't know if grapes bread true from seed. The usual method of
propagation of American grapes is through cuttings and of European
grapes is through grafting onto rooted American cuttings.

European cvs grow very readily from winter cuttings in decent soil or mix. American and hybrids vary in
ease. muscadines are quite different.

To answer the OP question, "Are they worth saving?": the seedlings will
differ from the parent, i.e., usually 'inferior'. However, ALL PLANT
CULTIVARS ORIGINATE AS SEEDLINGS (though a few cultivars originate as
mutations from existing similar cultivars) so grow the seedlings if/where
you have space and water. Never baby them, because 'abusable' cvs are the
most valuable. If they get badly diseased or big_before_flowering, nub
them off (at the ground).

Selection strategies for 'compact' or 'dwarf' cvs are more.. um. complex.
:-)

------------
see the easier reading textbooks at your library such as
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...ulture&spell=1
that outline training etc. etc. etc.
------------

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8
&q=phylloxera+nematode+ipm+Grape+%7C+vitis
------------

http://www.winepros.org/wine101/viniculture.htm

http://www.uga.edu/fruit/grape.htm

check the coop ext web pages of states in your area. diverse and regional
cvs:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...=texas+Grape+%
7C+vitis+Munson&btnG=Search

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...sts%2Eibiblio%
2Eorg+Grape+%7C+vitis+%7C+swensen%27s

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=site%
3Alists.ibiblio.org+Grape+%7C+vitis++minnesota+