Old 01-06-2004, 07:02 AM
madgardener

Default the 17 year cicada

I hope my post regarding the destruction of the female 17 year cycle cicada
was useful to someone. I went thru some angst trying to decide if I should
post it, but knowing there are people out there that aren't scared of the
bugs but might not realise the damage the female is doing where they are at
was enough motiviation for me to be nice and put one post out of several
informative posts regarding this pest.

I don't mind that I got no response. I just hope someone was helped out by
it like I was when I looked it up after seeing massive damage to the ends of
my trees and shrubs and it gets worse by the hour...........

madgardener sticky from the humidity and working outside all day at lowes in
Eastern Tennessee (feels like the inside of a Smucker's jam jar)

Old 01-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Janice

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 01:21:11 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

I hope my post regarding the destruction of the female 17 year cycle cicada
was useful to someone. I went thru some angst trying to decide if I should
post it, but knowing there are people out there that aren't scared of the
bugs but might not realise the damage the female is doing where they are at
was enough motiviation for me to be nice and put one post out of several
informative posts regarding this pest.

I don't mind that I got no response. I just hope someone was helped out by
it like I was when I looked it up after seeing massive damage to the ends of
my trees and shrubs and it gets worse by the hour...........

madgardener sticky from the humidity and working outside all day at lowes in
Eastern Tennessee (feels like the inside of a Smucker's jam jar)

I read a few posts, not yours, looked at the maps on a site, none are
in my part of the country.. and the few posts I looked at just looked
like quarreling, so I highlighted the entire cicada area and deleted
'em. Sorry didn't see yours or anything about how they were doing
damage.

Janice
Old 01-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Starlord

Not to worry, the southwest is free of them.

--
Dragons Must Fly when Thread's in the Sky

www.starlords.org

"madgardener" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old 01-06-2004, 04:02 PM
madgardener

no harm done Janice. I'm not being whiny about it (I hope I don't "sound"
whiny, I just thought there were enough people in the regions here on the
newgroup that might get a heads up regarding their damage. My Red-eyed
devils hatched about three weeks ago and are in mid lust and fornication
with heavy destruction from the females in their slicing and laying of
future generation of kids on all my trees and shrubs..............I'll be
glad when they're gone, the dead males have clogged up the gutters enough
that it took oldest son on a trip up the two story ladder to clean the back
corner gutter out when their accumulated bodies caused rain to push into the
window during a gully washer the other day.

Apparently the males die after contributions to the wife......and she's the
culprit that's wrecking havoc on all the trees and shrubs. if yer interested
in the piece, I could send it to ya.......but the area they affect is
selective. I am dead center of a heavy area apparently.
madgardener

Old 01-06-2004, 05:02 PM
madgardener

apparently they are only in a spot in the southeastern area's. I have
apparently got a ring side seat................
madgardener

Old 01-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Jeana

Starlord wrote:
Not to worry, the southwest is free of them.

Haven't seen any here yet, just southwest of Cleveland Ohio. I remember
the last time though. Even the beaches were covered with them. You could
go swimming in the lake, but couldn't find a place to sit down.

Jeana

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] cicada Lisa Miller Bonsai 3 12-04-2004 08:33 PM
the cicada invasion Ka30P Ponds 11 11-04-2004 08:32 AM
the cicada invasion *muffin* Ponds 1 10-04-2004 06:04 AM
Cicada wasps, apricot trees, cherry trees Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 5 27-08-2003 09:32 AM
woodpeckers, grackles, etc Cicada wasps, Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 20-08-2003 11:02 AM