Old 02-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Emil

Default Need some backyard improvement ideas.

Hi guys,

The pics at the bottom are of my backyard. Notice in this area, which is 16
ft long by 6.5 ft wide, the grass doesn't grow. It hasn't since I bought the
house 3 years ago, and I've given up on it. Those 4 bricks you see surround
a drain, so I have to consider that also. The wall you see will one day
come down, my property goes all the way down to the street. On the other
side of the wall it slopes down, but for the time being it's staying.

So what ideas can you guys think of to extend the sitting area of the patio?
Some ideas I came up with a
1) To bring a bunch of crushed gravel and compact it in.
2)Use pavers to create a traditional look.
3) Use large square stones?

I don't want to create a HUGE project, I don't have the patience to lay down
brick. I thought of pavers because all you have to do is prepare the ground,
lay the pavers and then brush sand into the joints, no need for mortar,
grout, etc.

http://img55.photobucket.com/albums/...77/Patio_1.jpg
http://img55.photobucket.com/albums/...77/Patio_2.jpg

Thanks,
Emil

Old 03-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Janice

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 12:01:34 -0700, "Emil" wrote:

[...]

What you been doing, spray painting things out there on the grass?

Put more of the same there, if the grass won't grow, continue the
patio and put an awning up or some sort of shades/shelters, put large
potted plants around between furniture.

Friends put up the usual fiberglass roofs and put up various kinds of
lattice/dividers for shading the large planters.. good to be on
wheels!

Janice

Old 04-06-2004, 03:02 AM
MisNomer

Wow.... someone who has a worse lawn than me, and I don't water mine.

Spray paint the lawn green or lay down astrotruf?

take care
Liz

Old 05-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Emil

"Janice" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I gave up on the grass so I used it to spray paint a peg board. :-)
I want to extend the patio, the most cost effective way possible.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Emil

"MisNomer" wrote in message
Wow.... someone who has a worse lawn than me, and I don't water mine.

Spray paint the lawn green or lay down astrotruf?

take care
Liz

I'm glad you don't have the worst grass anymore. If I don't go with the
patio extension project I was thinking of trying to put down the ready made
sod. See if I can keep it alive.

Old 08-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Charlie C.

"Emil" wrote in :

[...]

You could try a Japanese garden with gravel and a few rocks. It wouldn't
get you extra space but it should be low mainenance (unless you have trees
that will dump leaves on it).