Old 04-06-2004, 04:02 AM
Bruce W.1

Default Does lettuce like sun or shade?

Thought I try growing lettuce in pots on my balcony, which faces north
and get little direct sun.

Does lettuce like shade or lots of direct sunlight?

Any recommendations on the type of pot to use would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Ruth Levin

Hi Bruce:

You can answer most of your gardening questions by going here and typing in
a word, for example: "lettuce"

www.google.com

or go here to answer your lettuce question.

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/lettuce1.html

'enry VIII

Old 04-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Alan Sung

"Bruce W.1" wrote in message
Thought I try growing lettuce in pots on my balcony, which faces north
and get little direct sun.

Does lettuce like shade or lots of direct sunlight?

Lettuce likes lots of direct sun. Needs lots of water also.

-al sung
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 6a)

Old 04-06-2004, 04:02 PM
dps

Alan Sung wrote:
"Bruce W.1" wrote in message

Thought I try growing lettuce in pots on my balcony, which faces north
and get little direct sun.

Does lettuce like shade or lots of direct sunlight?

Lettuce likes lots of direct sun. Needs lots of water also.

Spring and fall lettuce do fine in full sun. In hot weather, lettuce
will do better in part shade. However, lettuce will grow in moderately
shady spots although it may be slower than in direct sun.

I generally advise against the practice of pulling a few leaves off the
lettuce at a time. This encourages the plant to bolt (try to set seed),
at which time the leaves get a bitter taste. Better to pull up the whole
plant, with roots, wash off the roots and put into a plastic bag with a
little water around the roots and keep in the fridge. It will last a
couple of weeks that way (unless it gets eaten first).

Try to plant sequential crops of lettuce, not just one planting in the
spring. I plant lettuce every week, although for a limited size garden
every two weeks would probably be OK. Hot weather encourages bolting in
lettuce, so when it's hot, harvest the lettuce early. This produces
somewhat smaller heads, but at least you get something out of it.

Lettuce will also take fairly cold weather. I've had lettuce survive
20F, although at that level it gets a fair amount of tipburn. 25-28F is
generally no problem. Red edge lettuce does better than green lettuce as
far as withstanding frost (at least the varieties I grow). Not sure
about lettuce in pots: at least in the field the ground will store more
heat from the day than a pot in the open air. On the other hand, the pot
is portable and you could just take it in at night.

Lettuce needs a moderate amount of water. It's not a wetland plant, but
it certainly doesn't like xeriscapes. I would estimate that it would
need to be watered in a pot every 2-3 days, possibly 1-2 days in really
hot weather.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:06 AM
TOM KAN PA

Lettuce likes lots of direct sun. Needs lots of water also.
____Reply Separator_____
Once it's in the fridge???

Old 05-06-2004, 11:02 PM
TOM KAN PA

Still needs sun. Thats why it wilts if you leave it in the fridge. Buy one
of those glass door fridges and position it near an east
facing window.
____Reply Separator_____
You mean one of the ones designed to keep wine in?

[IMG] code is On

Lettuce - Lettuce 1a (Small).jpg (1/1) [email protected] Garden Photos 2 17-01-2018 04:48 PM
Lettuce - Lettuce 1a (Small).jpg (0/1) [email protected] Garden Photos 0 20-12-2015 08:10 PM
Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
large leaves indicates plant does not like direct sun; rhubarb [email protected] Plant Science 5 07-09-2005 06:38 AM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM