Old 04-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Seth Ness

Default dogwood fungus

Hi,

I know next to nothing about gardening, but i have two trees that seem
to have some fungus.

the first is a dogwood that has this greenish mold all over the trunk
and branches and has a few leaves with black spots, though most look
fine. the flowers had brown edges and seemed to die quickly.

the other tree, i don't know what it is, has the same mold on its trunk
and branches, though not as much, and has more leaves with the black
spots.

I don't think pruning is an option since the stuff is on every branch
and trunk

All the fungi i read about seem to affect the leaves first and most
severe and not focus on the trunk and branches, so i'm confused as to
what this is.

anyway, i'm sending pictures to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

please let me know what this is and if there si anything i can do to
help my trees.

thanks

seth

Old 05-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Felder

Seth Ness ) wrote...
Hi,

I know next to nothing about gardening, but i have two trees that seem
to have some fungus.

the first is a dogwood that has this greenish mold all over the trunk
and branches and has a few leaves with black spots, though most look
fine. the flowers had brown edges and seemed to die quickly.

Hi Seth. I have had similar problems with my Dogwood. Flowers would drop
quickly and the leaves would soon turn a blackish-purple and drop. This
year I have been spraying it with a fungicide and it's doing terrific.
This spring has not been as wet either. So, I'd say go to a garden
center and ask for a fungicide for your dogwood and follow the
directions on the bottle.

-Felder
Old 05-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Mike LaMana

Sounds like you are lumping at least 2 issues:

1.) The greenish mold on the truck and braches is lichen ( Looked at the
pics on a.b.p.g). A primitive 'plant' it is just growing there and does no
harm to the tree - it just needs a place to attach. Forget about it.

2.) The black / brown spots on the leaves are probably dogwood anthracnose
or septoria leaf spot. These are fungal diseases that might be controlled
with fungicides, different cultural practices, etc. They are most driven by
weather vagaries.

3.) Brown edges on flowers may be anthracnose or a bacterial wilt - again,
these are driven mostly by weather.

Cheers
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 20-06-2004, 01:02 PM

We had a similar problem with our dogwood last year and acted too late
to save lower branches then. This year we have sprayed the tree when
budding and the upper branches seem fine. The lower branches affected
last year have very few buds and leaves. My question is, will these
lower branches fill out or stay sparse? Should I trim them or leave
them if they stay sparse?

Thanks,
John

Old 21-06-2004, 06:03 AM
Bob S.

"Mike LaMana" fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet wrote in message ...
Sounds like you are lumping at least 2 issues:

1.) The greenish mold on the truck and braches is lichen ( Looked at the
pics on a.b.p.g). A primitive 'plant' it is just growing there and does no
harm to the tree - it just needs a place to attach. Forget about it.

2.) The black / brown spots on the leaves are probably dogwood anthracnose
or septoria leaf spot. These are fungal diseases that might be controlled
with fungicides, different cultural practices, etc. They are most driven by
weather vagaries.

3.) Brown edges on flowers may be anthracnose or a bacterial wilt - again,
these are driven mostly by weather.

Cheers
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC
Toms River, NJ
www.HeartwoodConsulting.net

I have at least 50 wild dogwoods with various stages of anthracnose.
Some of the older trees are a foot or more in diameter. It can start
on the leaves, twigs, or a bruised spot on the bark. As it works down
the trunk, the bark breaks away exposing the wood. Eventually the
whole tree dies. I had a state forrester look at them and he confirmed
anthracnose. When I asked what I could do for them, he said "Nothing.
Cut them up for firewood." Lord, I hate to lose those old pretty
trees, but such is life. I wonder if the dogwoods will go the way of
the American Chestnuts.

Bob S.