GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bush and his religion? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/66637-bush-his-religion.html)

escapee 21-06-2004 08:05 PM

Bush and his religion?

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:22:06 -0700, (paghat)
opined:

In article ,
wrote:

Either way, I know Nader is going to **** it all up again. Thank you Ralph
Nader. Gee wiz. Does he WANT the idiot to be president again?

Ralph Nader robbed me once.

It was back in the days of the Larry King radio show. Up till then Nader
was one of my minor heros because he was a good-looking even though kind
of creepy guy who never lets anyone inside his filthy apartment & only
owned one pair of shoes & a bunch of cheap look-alike rumpled suits. I'm
not making that up. He seemed so crazy I just had this fond feeling about
him. Gotta give some credit to a guy who manifests so many nutty traits
yet gets that far in life.

I absolutely understand what you are saying. I'll go as far as saying I like
Nader very much. He is borderline Mr. Rogers-ish (icky), but I'll give him
credit for trying to "spacialize" our political machine. However, he is going
to take votes away from Kerry by seeking gain with the college crowd. They are
well meaning, and I too believe we need a better system which would eliminate
the two party system, but this is not the way to go about it. IMO.

Plus of course there were those progressive politics which I found
generally agreeable, & I forgave him even his occasional lapses into
antisemitism; he posses a mythology of Cruel Jews & Harmless Palestinians,
perhaps inescapable given that Ralphy is Lebanese American, & I tried not
to focus too much on his lapses, just like I forgave Jackson his Hymie
Town remark.

I saw these instances as virtually benign and moved on. Everybody has their
reasons within their culture and New York is a wide open cultural mash. I think
most of us who lived in New York most of our lives laughed at the Jackson
comment, knowing what he meant by it. It's all local...if you know what I mean.

But then Ralph robbed me personally, just plain stole my money, & I have
ever since thought of him primarily as a thieving scoundral.

On the Larry King show he was fundraising for his organization without
admitting what he was doing. For $5 each or $20 total, he explained
repeatedly, you could get four important consumer guides. I sent off my
money & what I got was four badly xeroxed sheets of paper with a few very
obvioius generic statements for consumers -- along with a request for more
money.

He remains on my shitlist until he returns the money he stole from me.

-paghat the ratgirl

Ah, I remember that, but didn't send the money. I could see where you'd be
skeptical. Personally, I wish he'd go away and stay away. Let people with a
bit of credibility jump in there.

I would have liked it very much if McCaine (sp?) would have jumped the party and
roomed with Kerry. I think we'd have a good shot of 16 years to sew up the
chasms created by our current administration (if we can call it that).

Victoria

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

escapee 21-06-2004 08:06 PM

Bush and his religion?

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:51:48 GMT, "Glenda" opined:

I agree with you, we have protected old growth, pristine forest in Northern
Idaho, what does Bush want to do, allow roads to be build through it.

For what? He says it is to allow fire fighters better access but what he
really wants to do is open the forests to logging.

I believe that we have to leave large areas of land undeveloped and unlogged
for the benefit of the wildlife and plantlife that live there. That is their
home and they need it (habitat) to exist.

Not to mention fire is natural in forests. Forest fires. Natural. We need to
stop reproducing at warp speed and stop building the Mc Mansions. I'm guilty of
living in one...well, a mini-one, but I take up a half acre. At least my garden
is solely for wildlife...and it LOOKS it! I may need a machete to get it all
under control.

Humans wouldn't want someone to destroy their only way to survive!

This entire area (the Northwest) is being destroyed by over development, we
have bears, moose, cougar, deer and many other creatures coming into the
cities because they have no where else to go. Sometimes they are captured
and released away from the city but usually they are just killed.

Bush believes that the bible "God" gave the Earth to the humans to do with
it as they please.

Now we know why politics and religion don't mix.

'enry VIII

Pretty frightening stuff.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

Cereus-validus 22-06-2004 05:03 AM

Bush and his religion?

Maybe Nancy was getting tired of hearing "Win one for the Gipper" stories
over and over again. "You know, Mommie, I played George Gip in the movie
Knute Rockne-All American with Edmond O'Brien and when my character died, he
said "Win one for the Gipper!". "Did I ever tell you, Mommie, I played
George Gip in the the movie Knute Rockne-All American with Edmond O'Brien
and when...................".

I can just see that "dragon lady" with the pillow over his face saying "take
this one for the Gipper, dammit!"

That Michael Moore is getting tons of free publicity for his movie from
Republinazis that don't want the truth to be known. The more they complain,
even more people will go out to see it out of curiosity!!!

Mel Gibson was going to do a remake of Fahrenheit 451 before he saw Jesus
and I wonder if Michael Moore beating him to it has changed his mind about
ever doing it at all?

Maybe Ralph Nader could die in a freak accident with a manure powered car?

"escapee" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:27:09 GMT, "Cereus-validus"

opined:

I'm wondering if the svengalis behind the scenes actually killed off

Reagan
just to take the attention off the screw ups of Dubaya, the whole Iraq

mess
and to try to get sympathy votes for the Republinazis in the up-coming
election.

Don't laugh. John Stewart said the same thing! He said, (paraphrase)

"I'm not
one for conspiracy theories, but was Reagan such a republican that he died

take the heat off the current administration?" Uh, no, but uh, yeah!

I can almost see them putting the pillow over the senile old geezer's

face
and telling him that "its for the good of the country" and that he would

die
a true patriot.

One word, "Reaganomics." Nuff said. If that's patriotic, kill me now.

Nah. They really couldn't be that cold blooded and manipulative. Could

they?
They couldn't possibly kill a president and get away with it. Its not as
though its been done before.

HA! Are you going to see Fahrenheit 911, which is nine eleven, not nine

one
one. That drives me crazy. Nine one one. NOT. It's nine eleven. I

don't
know if I will actually watch a lot of the violent images of Iraq combat,

but I
want to support other voices. We are slowly losing every radio station,
television station, and every part between. All one voice and it becomes
Fahrenheit 451...or is it 415?

escapee 22-06-2004 02:02 PM

Bush and his religion?

I was just saying that to Mark last night. The igits on Fox are literally
giving Moore millions and millions of dollars worth of free press.

Here's a good article about the credibility of the fact checking Moore did:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/20/mo... amp;position

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 03:13:06 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
opined:

[...]

.. .

Vox Humana 22-06-2004 04:03 PM

Bush and his religion?

"escapee" wrote in message
I was just saying that to Mark last night. The igits on Fox are literally
giving Moore millions and millions of dollars worth of free press.

It is the same as when the press gave Mel Gibson billion$ in free
advertising for his biblical S&M epic.

MisNomer 22-06-2004 04:04 PM

Bush and his religion?

Just because his name is Bush doesn't qualify him for "on topic" in a gardening
group.

take care
Liz

[email protected] 22-06-2004 06:03 PM

Bush and his religion?

yeah, but it is only one of a handful in the country and I cant get it locally.
INGRID

"rosie read and post" wrote:

:........................ We are slowly losing every radio station,
: television station, and every part between.

http://www.airamericaradio.com/pub/globalDefault.htm

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

John A. Keslick, Jr. 23-06-2004 03:07 PM

Bush and his religion?

Seems about right for the idiots who not only
pretend to care, but then butcher the language to make it worse.

Don't call tree mutilators or people who mutilate things butchers. Butchers
are highly skilled people.

--
Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

John A. Keslick, Jr. 23-06-2004 03:08 PM

Bush and his religion?

This is making me sick.

I agree with you, we have protected old growth, pristine forest in

Northern
Idaho, what does Bush want to do, allow roads to be build through it.

For what? He says it is to allow fire fighters better access but what he
really wants to do is open the forests to logging.

As we build more roads or fire ditches, we prune tree 3 (see diagram 231).
You can overprune tree 1, and tree 2, and also tree 3. I believe we are
seeing this in our time. What is the solution? Close most of the roads!
One of the biggest parks in Europe is doing just that! So it can be done.
It is a sound treatment for health of a forest or park. Roads change the
pathways of water, allow grass to compete with trees, and disrupt the
mycorrhizae and other tree associates. And when trees get sick, all the
associates of trees also get sick. Ask a koala! See Modern Arboriculture
(the book)

I believe that we have to leave large areas of land undeveloped and

unlogged
for the benefit of the wildlife and plantlife that live there.

I back that up with researchers publications
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/index.html

That is their
home and they need it (habitat) to exist.

Humans wouldn't want someone to destroy their only way to survive!

This entire area (the Northwest) is being destroyed by over development,

we
have bears, moose, cougar, deer and many other creatures coming into the
cities because they have no where else to go. Sometimes they are captured
and released away from the city but usually they are just killed.

Bush believes that the bible "God" gave the Earth to the humans to do with
it as they please.

Bush has no scientist that support commercial logging on federal public
land. Now what faith will win the election? One might ask just what is
meant by cutting the wood out of the once fertile forest.
See "LOGGING - What it is"
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/sound
for starters
also use
www.treedictionary.com

Ezekiel 39:10 So that they shall take no wood out of the field, neither cut
down any out of the forests; for they shall burn the weapons with fi and
they shall spoil those that spoiled them, and rob those that robbed them,
saith the Lord GOD.

Man's first responsibility was to care for the garden, (Genesis 2-15).

God even cares about the sparrows.

We need to hold on to what we got.

John A. Keslick, Jr. 23-06-2004 03:10 PM

Bush and his religion?

Bush believes that the bible "God" gave the Earth to the humans to do
with
it as they please.

Now we know why politics and religion don't mix.

Rev 7.3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we
have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.
Humic acids slow decomposition reactions in soils.

John A. Keslick, Jr. 23-06-2004 03:11 PM

Bush and his religion?

"MisNomer" wrote in message
Just because his name is Bush doesn't qualify him for "on topic" in a

gardening
group.

take care
Liz

No but his poor creation care pertaining to the once fertle forest is.

escapee 23-06-2004 03:12 PM

Bush and his religion?

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:19:47 GMT, "Vox Humana" opined:

"escapee" wrote in message
.. .
I was just saying that to Mark last night. The igits on Fox are literally
giving Moore millions and millions of dollars worth of free press.

It is the same as when the press gave Mel Gibson billion$ in free
advertising for his biblical S&M epic.

I won't watch that Gibson film. Not now, anyway. I have a really hard time
with violent images. The Moore film has violent images also, but I want to
support that film, so will go see it and buy the DVD. I will do a lot of eyes
closing.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

escapee 23-06-2004 03:13 PM

Bush and his religion?

I listen on their website. I don't get it here, either. Eventually we'll buy a
satellite radio, but not just yet.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:25:57 GMT, opined:

"rosie read and post" wrote:

:........................ We are slowly losing every radio station,
: television station, and every part between.

http://www.airamericaradio.com/pub/globalDefault.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Vox Humana 23-06-2004 06:02 PM

Bush and his religion?

"escapee" wrote in message
I listen on their website. I don't get it here, either. Eventually we'll

buy a
satellite radio, but not just yet.

We got a Sirius satellite radio last fall and are very pleased with the
service and programming. Sirius has two NPR and one PRI stream as well as
Sirius Left, a politically left oriented talk station. In addition there is
Sirius OutQ that has a lot of politically left leaning programing. Sirius
carries Air America, also. The competition, XM satellite radio, is
partially owned by Clear Channel. The last time I looked, Clear Channel was
the fifth largest stock holder and their CEO is on the board at XM radio.
That is a deal killer for me.

escapee 23-06-2004 10:02 PM

Bush and his religion?

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:58:33 GMT, "Vox Humana" opined:

"escapee" wrote in message
.. .
I listen on their website. I don't get it here, either. Eventually we'll

buy a
satellite radio, but not just yet.

We got a Sirius satellite radio last fall and are very pleased with the
service and programming. Sirius has two NPR and one PRI stream as well as
Sirius Left, a politically left oriented talk station. In addition there is
Sirius OutQ that has a lot of politically left leaning programing. Sirius
carries Air America, also. The competition, XM satellite radio, is
partially owned by Clear Channel. The last time I looked, Clear Channel was
the fifth largest stock holder and their CEO is on the board at XM radio.
That is a deal killer for me.

Yes, that's why we are waiting before spending a few hundred on the radio. As
long as I can listen online it's fine. They have an excellent feed for their
station on their website. I have remote speakers in the house so I can go
anywhere within a certain distance and still hear the computer.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

Vox Humana 23-06-2004 11:03 PM

Bush and his religion?

"escapee" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:58:33 GMT, "Vox Humana"

opined:

"escapee" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I do the same thing with Sirius. You can listen to Sirius OutQ online
without a subscription. www.siriusoutq.com
They ask for an email address and zip code, but fake ones work just fine.
You might be very interested in the show that runs from 2:00 to 6:00 pm
Eastern time. With a subscription, you can listen to all the music streams
online with a password. Our receiver is in one of the cars. You can often
get deals on radios. You can get a radio for $49.00 at this link:
http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1077744929995

D Ray 24-06-2004 01:02 AM

Bush and his religion?

We got a Sirius satellite radio last fall and are very pleased with the
service and programming. Sirius has two NPR and one PRI stream as well as
Sirius Left, a politically left oriented talk station. In addition there is
Sirius OutQ that has a lot of politically left leaning programing. Sirius
carries Air America, also. The competition, XM satellite radio, is
partially owned by Clear Channel. The last time I looked, Clear Channel was
the fifth largest stock holder and their CEO is on the board at XM radio.
That is a deal killer for me.

You should get yourself more informed. Clear Channel has hedged their
entire position and have been trying to get out of XM for more than a
year now. They no longer have a board member.

It doesn't matter, however. XM was never a strategic partner for CCU;
and CCU has had zero influence on the programming. XM's music is far
superior to Sirius', and EITHER is far superior (as in multiple orders
of magnitude) to anything you'll find on FM.

It is sort of bizarre to proclaim your opposition to a product on the
basis of who the company's shareholders are. While you can boycott
for whatever reasons, you do so at your own disadvantage.

Ermalina 24-06-2004 03:02 AM

Bush and his religion?

D Ray wrote:

We got a Sirius satellite radio last fall and are very pleased with the
service and programming. Sirius has two NPR and one PRI stream as well as
Sirius Left, a politically left oriented talk station. In addition there is
Sirius OutQ that has a lot of politically left leaning programing. Sirius
carries Air America, also. The competition, XM satellite radio, is
partially owned by Clear Channel. The last time I looked, Clear Channel was
the fifth largest stock holder and their CEO is on the board at XM radio.
That is a deal killer for me.

You should get yourself more informed. Clear Channel has hedged their
entire position and have been trying to get out of XM for more than a
year now. They no longer have a board member.

1. When did Clear Channel dump its 8.3M shares? CCU filed a "Planned
Sale" a year ago but I see no indication that it's sold.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=XMSR

2. When did Clear Channel CFO [and founder-CEO-spawn], Randall Mays,
leave the XM Board of Directors? According to his Clear Channel bio:

"Randall serves on the Board of Directors for XM Satellite Radio."

http://www.clearchannel.com/Corporat...aysRandall.pdf

Vox Humana 24-06-2004 03:03 AM

Bush and his religion?

"D Ray" wrote in message
m...

[...]

I'm going on the information they filed with the SEC at the time I made my
purchase. Everyone should do their own research. If you look at their
quarterly report filed on March 31, 2004, you will see that there is still a
very tight knit relationship with Clear Channel and it's Premiere Radio
network. That same report states the following: "Randall Mays, a member of
our board of directors, is Executive Vice President and Chief Financial
Officer of Clear Channel Communications. " The fact that they are involved
with XM is enough for me. I don't claim that Clear Channel is micromanaging
the show content, but I think we all know Clear Channel's political agenda
and that going against the interests of one of your major stock holders and
the wishes of a board member isn't a good strategy. I don't care to
contribute to the RNC or the Bush reelection campaign. Since Clear Channel
is or was a major stock holder and occupies a seat on the XM board, it only
makes sense that part of the proffits or appreciaiton in the stock value
would benefit Clear Channel. I don't look at this as a boycott. It is
making a choice based on my personal value system. I haven't listened to
XM, so I can't personally comment on the quality of their music programming.
Let's face it, there is only so many recording by so many artists. When you
have over 120 streams of music and entertainment going 24/7 I don't see how
there could be much difference. I also understand that XM has commercials
on their music streams and Sirius does not. Frankly, I didn't get satellite
radio to listen to music. The right wing gleefully boycotts everything
Disney, and I have no problem with that. I think everyone should be aware of
the consequences of making a purchase. There is no point in spending money
that will eventually be used to support cases that you don't agree with or
which you feel will cause harm.

You can see the XM quarterly report and all their other filings on the SEC's
website. Here is a link to the report
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...82454/d10q.htm

Vox Humana 24-06-2004 03:06 AM

Bush and his religion?

"Ermalina" wrote in message
D Ray wrote:

[...]

Exactly. If this all happened, they are in big trouble because they didn't
file with the SEC. I searched the EDGAR database over at SEC.gov and I
didn't see any mention of the transaction.
http://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-ed...wner=inclu de

escapee 24-06-2004 02:03 PM

Bush and his religion?

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:17:47 GMT, "Vox Humana" opined:

I do the same thing with Sirius. You can listen to Sirius OutQ online
without a subscription. www.siriusoutq.com
They ask for an email address and zip code, but fake ones work just fine.
You might be very interested in the show that runs from 2:00 to 6:00 pm
Eastern time. With a subscription, you can listen to all the music streams
online with a password. Our receiver is in one of the cars. You can often
get deals on radios. You can get a radio for $49.00 at this link:
http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1077744929995

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

escapee 24-06-2004 02:05 PM

Bush and his religion?

On 23 Jun 2004 16:31:53 -0700, (D Ray) opined:

You should get yourself more informed. Clear Channel has hedged their
entire position and have been trying to get out of XM for more than a
year now. They no longer have a board member.

It doesn't matter, however. XM was never a strategic partner for CCU;
and CCU has had zero influence on the programming. XM's music is far
superior to Sirius', and EITHER is far superior (as in multiple orders
of magnitude) to anything you'll find on FM.

It is sort of bizarre to proclaim your opposition to a product on the
basis of who the company's shareholders are. While you can boycott
for whatever reasons, you do so at your own disadvantage.

I don't care much about the music on satellite. Between my husband and I, we
have about a thousand CDs and access to thousands of others if we want. I only
listen to the radio for the talk shows. I stopped listening to it a while back,
but now that I can hear delightful people like Franken, and Rhodes, I'm
listening again. I get many music channels on the DirecTV system. I never
listened once.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

[email protected] 24-06-2004 05:03 PM

Bush and his religion?

that is me too. I just dont listen to music while doing other things. it took me a
while to get used to Rhodes, but now I am addicted. I even got her bumper sticker
for "team Randi". Ingrid

escapee wrote:
I don't care much about the music on satellite. Between my husband and I, we
have about a thousand CDs and access to thousands of others if we want. I only
listen to the radio for the talk shows. I stopped listening to it a while back,
but now that I can hear delightful people like Franken, and Rhodes, I'm
listening again. I get many music channels on the DirecTV system. I never
listened once.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Vox Humana 24-06-2004 05:07 PM

Bush and his religion?

wrote in message
than you soooo much for this info. INgrid

The 2 PM show is hosted by Michelangelo Signorile. While it covers topics of
the gay community, it is mostly focused on politics. He has some wonderful
guests who have written books and articles that you will never hear about
from the regular media. Unfortunately, I believe that today they are
running a repeat of some event they recorded on the weekend while Mike is
addressing some convention. You might want to skip today's show.

escapee 24-06-2004 09:02 PM

Bush and his religion?

She reminds me of me and everyone else I grew up with in Brooklyn! I don't
think my accent is as thick as hers, but I concentrate on not having that old
accent. She is very funny, but also very smart.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 05:30:11 GMT, opined:

escapee wrote:
I don't care much about the music on satellite. Between my husband and I, we
have about a thousand CDs and access to thousands of others if we want. I only
listen to the radio for the talk shows. I stopped listening to it a while back,
but now that I can hear delightful people like Franken, and Rhodes, I'm
listening again. I get many music channels on the DirecTV system. I never
listened once.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Roger Pearse 26-06-2004 05:03 PM

Bush and his religion?

"'enry VIII" wrote in message news:NmtBc.87317$0y.76847@attbi_s03...
"John A. Keslick, Jr." wrote in message
The bible is fiction, a myth, baloney, made up by sheephearders 2000 years
ago, get over it and get a life!

Yeah, better base your life on NBC!

http://biblebabble.curbjaw.com/godl01.htm

"Contrary to popular assumption the Bible did not descend from heaven
carried by flocks of angels, nor was it dictated to mortal scribes by a god;
it was written and embellished by some 40 authors - prophets, kings,
politicians and clergymen in a variety of styles over a 1600 year period. It
was written in Hebrew, Greek (vernacular), Aramaic, Syriac, Coptic and
Latin. On stone, wood, clay, goatskin and papyrus. However the foundations
of Christianity and Bible we know today were laid by religious bureaucrats
of the 4th century AD, when the first Roman Emperor to convert to
Christianity, Constantine the Great (274-337 AD), needed a single canon to
constitute the Christian faith in hopes of unifying a cracking empire. Until
this time Christian leaders could not agree on Christ's relationship to God,
or which texts should be considered the word of god and which should not.
Two meetings were convened at Nicaea, in what's today northwest Turkey, to
codify the emerging religion. The first in 325AD and second in 787AD. During
the momentous first Council of Nicaea delegates debated pertinent
theological issues, such as the divinity of Jesus Christ; proposed books for
inclusion in the sacred canon and voted the word of god into existence."

This is complete crap, and I strongly suggest you read around the
subject more. There are plenty of sites about what the Council of
Nicaea did and did not do, including documents from it, and I suggest
you go and look.

"The central tenets of Christianity is that Jesus of Nazareth was the son of
god, one part of a divine trinity: born of a virgin, he preached to the
masses, suffered, died on the cross for the sins of man and rose from the
dead on the third day. This, along with the belief that his birth was
preceded by miraculous events, political intrigue and heralded by wise-men
form the foundation of the Christian faith. However Christianity is either
peppered with themes coincidentally similar to much older Eastern religions,
or these similarities are proof positive that church founders plagiarized
other faiths: "

This is intellectually illiterate.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

John Watson 27-06-2004 05:03 AM

Bush and his religion?

"Roger Pearse" wrote in message
om...
"'enry VIII" wrote in message
[...]

But true!

John

27-06-2004 07:13 PM

Bush and his religion?

This is intellectually illiterate.

But true!

Half true at best. The stories are similar on a few points,
coincidentally the only ones you'd choose to broadcast. I won't ask you
if you know the points where the divergences are huge, of course you
won't know them. Even on points of similarity, the Hebraic revelations
of creation are the only ones with which with the findings of modern
science consistently comport (www.reasons.org). As to "messianic"
stories, indeed knowledge was in the world of the coming of a savior
long before he came. The Bible is clear on this. That versions of this
amazing prophecy appears in the myths of most civilizations is not a
disproof of Christ as you contend but evidence of it's universal
significance to mankind. So, the question is today as it was six
thousand years ago. Which messiah, if any, is the real one? That's the
wonder of the exceptional quality of free will that God gave only to his
Adamic creation: everybody here gets to pick his messiah. That you
despise the one called Jesus is boringly clear. It's also clear you're
too much a fool to realize you'll soon be conjuring your own messiah to
unify a troubled world as you see it. Speaking of plagarism, from whence
do you think liberalism's twisted materialist egalitarianism originally
derived, Marx? Carter?

"Liberalism is the only religion where gratitude is a sin."

John Watson 27-06-2004 07:14 PM

Bush and his religion?

wrote in message
This is intellectually illiterate.

But true!

Half true at best. The stories are similar on a few points,
coincidentally the only ones you'd choose to broadcast. I won't ask you
if you know the points where the divergences are huge, of course you
won't know them. Even on points of similarity, the Hebraic revelations
of creation are the only ones with which with the findings of modern
science consistently comport (www.reasons.org). As to "messianic"
stories, indeed knowledge was in the world of the coming of a savior
long before he came. The Bible is clear on this.

The Bible is clear on nothing, that is why there are over 33,000 Protestant
Cults all claiming to be the only true church.

Casper the Friendly Ghost is clear on his good doings.

Both works of fiction but both just as valid, Hoy Ghost, Friendly Ghost, get
it? VBG

I've heard the call. I believe God wants me to run for president.
-- George W. Bush, quoted in George Magazine, September, 2000

Nothing [Bush] does can be challenged on moral grounds, however unethical or
evil it might appear,
because all of his actions are directed by God. He can twist the truth,
oppress the poor, exalt the rich,
despoil the earth, ignore the law--and murder children--without the
slightest compunction, the briefest
moment of doubt or self-reflection, because he believes, he truly believes,
that God squats in his brainpan and tells him what to do.
-- Chris Floyd, CounterPunch, 7/30/03

George Bush was not elected by a majority of the voters in the United
States. He was appointed by God.
-- Lt. Gen. William Boykin, the defense undersecretary in charge of
hunting down top terrorists in Iraq and Afghanistan

No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should
they
be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.
-- George Bush Sr., to a reporter in 1988

We Americans have no commission from God to police the world.
--Benjamin Harrison

The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the
Christian religion.
--George Washington, Treaty of Tripoli, 1796

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.
--Thomas Jefferson, February 10, 1814

Comparison of some life events of Horus and Jesus:
Event Horus Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus
Conception: By a virgin. By a virgin. 8
Father: Only begotten son of the God Osiris. Only begotten son of
Yehovah (in the form of the Holy Spirit).
Mother: Meri. 9 Miriam (a.k.a. Mary).
Foster father: Seb, (Jo-Seph). 9 Joseph.
Foster father's ancestry: Of royal descent. Of royal descent.
Birth location: In a cave. In a cave or stable.
Annunciation: By an angel to Isis, his mother. By an angel to Miriam,
his mother. 8
Birth heralded by: The star Sirius, the morning star. An unidentified
"star in the East."
Birth date: Ancient Egyptians paraded a manger and child representing
Horus through the streets at the time of the winter solstice (typically
DEC-21). Celebrated on DEC-25. The date was chosen to occur on the same
date as the birth of Mithra, Dionysus and the Sol Invictus (unconquerable
Sun), etc.
Birth announcement: By angels. By angels. 8
Birth witnesses: Shepherds. Shepherds. 8
Later witnesses to birth: Three solar deities. Three wise men. 8
Death threat during infancy: Herut tried to have Horus murdered. Herod
tried to have Jesus murdered.
Handling the threat: The God That tells Horus' mother "Come, thou
goddess Isis, hide thyself with thy child." An angel tells Jesus' father to:
"Arise and take the young child and his mother and flee into Egypt."
Rite of passage ritual: Horus came of age with a special ritual, when
his eye was restored. Taken by parents to the temple for what is today
called a bar mitzvah ritual.
Age at the ritual: 12 12
Break in life history: No data between ages of 12 & 30. No data
between ages of 12 & 30.
Baptism location: In the river Eridanus. In the river Jordan.
Age at baptism: 30. 30.
Baptized by: Anup the Baptiser. John the Baptist.
Subsequent fate of the baptiser: Beheaded. Beheaded.
Temptation: Taken from the desert of Amenta up a high mountain by his
arch-rival Sut. Sut (a.k.a. Set) was a precursor for the Hebrew Satan. Taken
from the desert in Palestine up a high mountain by his arch-rival Satan.
Result of temptation: Horus resists temptation. Jesus resists
temptation.
Supporters Twelve disciples. Twelve disciples.
Activities: Walked on water, cast out demons, healed the sick,
restored sight to the blind. He "stilled the sea by his power." Walked on
water, cast out demons, healed the sick, restored sight to the blind. He
ordered the sea with a "Peace, be still" command.
Raising of the dead: Horus raised Osirus, his dead father, from the
grave. 10 Jesus raised Lazarus from the grave.
Location where the resurrection miracle occurred: Anu, an Egyptian
city where the rites of the death, burial and resurrection of Horus were
enacted annually. 10 Hebrews added their prefix for house ('beth") to "Anu"
to produce "Beth-Anu" or the "House of Anu." Since "u" and "y" were
interchangeable in antiquity, "Bethanu" became "Bethany," the location
mentioned in John 11.
Origin of Lazarus' name: Asar was an alternate name for Osirus, Horus'
father, who Horus raised from the dead. He was referred to as "the Asar," as
a sign of respect. Translated into Hebrew, this is "El-Asar." The Romans
added the prefix "us" to indicate a male name, producing "Elasarus." Over
time, the "E" was dropped and "s" became "z," producing "Lazarus." 10 As
described by the author(s) of the Gospel of John.
Transfigured: On a mountain. On a high mountain.
Key address(es): Sermon on the Mount. Sermon on the Mount; Sermon on
the Plain.
Method of death By crucifixion. By crucifixion.
Accompanied by: Two thieves. Two thieves.
Burial In a tomb. In a tomb.
Fate after death: Descended into Hell; resurrected after three days.
Descended into Hell; resurrected after about 30 to 38 hours (Friday PM to
presumably some time in Sunday AM) covering parts of three days.
Resurrection announced by: Women. Women.
Futu Reign for 1,000 years in the Millennium. Reign for 1,000 years
in the Millennium.

John

Bill Oliver 27-06-2004 09:03 PM

Bush and his religion?

In article dBDDc.162192$3x.41187@attbi_s54,
John Watson wrote:

The Bible is clear on nothing, that is why there are over 33,000 Protestant
Cults all claiming to be the only true church.

Your bigotry is showing. Not only are you wrong about Christianity,
you are both ignorant and wrong about Protestantism.

billo

Not-easily-duped 27-06-2004 10:03 PM

Bush and his religion?

"'enry VIII" wrote in message
[...]

You don't know what truth is then. You must be a jerk!

John

Cereus-validus 27-06-2004 10:04 PM

Bush and his religion?

NOT like that literary genuis, Ronald Reagan, eh?

Well, there you go again!!

Kill a Commie for Mommie!!!

Vox Humana 27-06-2004 11:02 PM

Bush and his religion?

John Watson wrote:

The Bible is clear on nothing, that is why there are over 33,000

Protestant
Cults all claiming to be the only true church.

Your bigotry is showing. Not only are you wrong about Christianity,
you are both ignorant and wrong about Protestantism.

How do you account for so many denominations each having so large a
difference with fellow Christians that they can't abide belonging to the
same organization?

John Watson 28-06-2004 01:03 AM

Bush and his religion?

om...
"'enry VIII" wrote in message
[...]

I may be a jerk but I do know what the truth is and it sure isn't some bible
thumper calling on some Santa Claus like bible character to destroy anyone
that doesn't believe the same bullshit as he does. G

And you are an Asshole! VBG

John

John

Bill Oliver 28-06-2004 01:04 AM

Bush and his religion?

In article ,
Vox Humana wrote:

How do you account for so many denominations each having so large a
difference with fellow Christians that they can't abide belonging to the
same organization?

There are a number of reasons. The first is because people are
different and their needs are different. There was a good book written
some years ago by Bruce Larson, in which he illustrated it with a
parable. It went something like this (I am paraphrasing from a
years-old memory):

There was once a man who had suffered many reversals in his life.
He had tried and failed a multiple businesses. His car had just
been reposessed. He had an addictive personality and in spite of
his best efforts, could not shake many self-destructive habits. He
had failed in love. He had failed so many times, he took his
failure for granted. He saw himself as a failure and despised what
he saw in the mirror.

There was another man in the same town who had a golden touch. He
was a millionaire. Important people came to him for advice. He
had a wonderful marriage and his kids were exemplary. He worked
out and looked good. He felt great about himself. There were also
two churches in the area. The first, Our Lady of Eternal
Redemption, focused on the love and acceptance of Jesus Christ. It
told about how that every day was a new day in Christ, that all the
sins and failures of yesterday were forgiven, and that, in Christ,
all things are possible.

The second, The Church of Eternal Repentance, focused on the fallen
nature of man and the offer of redemption through repentance and
humility. It preached about how that, no matter how good we think
we are, as long as another person is in need we have not done what
we can. It focused on the fact that we are all sinners and need
the forgiveness of Christ. It told the story of the young rich man
(Matt 19:16) who followed all the laws but walked away from Jesus
when he was told to sell his posessions and give it to the poor.

Larson points out that while both of them teach the truth, the
concentration if very different. It would be a good thing for the
first man to enter the first church and the second to enter the second,
and possibly a very bad thing for the opposite to occur. In the
best case, the needs of each would be met -- the man in trouble would
be given encouragment and validation, and the man with it all would
be taught humility. In the worst case, the man in trouble would
focus on his failings and might have a hard time recognizing the
value of his redemption,a nd the man with it all would see his
wealth as validation.

The second is that there is great ambiguity in most aspects of
Christianity. Jesus noted that there were really only two rules to
being a Christian: loving God above all else, and loving your neighbor
as yourself. Everything else falls from those two. Most of the things
that people think of when they think of Christian orthodoxy are not
things that Jesus particularly cared about.

Virtually every variant on the things that Christ didn't deal with has
been proposed. That Christ was both human and God, that He was not
human at all, that he was God but was an illusion, that He was human
and not God. The orthodox trinitarial belief was established in the
face of Christians who believed in the trinity, who believed in a
pantheon of dieties, who believed that Jesus and God were enemies,
etc. -- all of which, in fact, were relatively consistent with the
fundamental teachings of Christ. Christ was concerned with how we
lived our lives and with our relationship with a diety we could not
comprehend. He was not all that concerned with which incorrect
comprehension we chose.

What this means is that most decisions that Christians have to make
about life are thus pretty much judgement calls. Generations of
theologians and demagogues have tried replaced the Pharisees in trying
to write laws for every little contingency, and its not surprising that
they differ in their extrapolations.

This is compounded by the fact that Christianity is focused on belief
(orthodoxy) rather than practice (orthopraxy). This is in contrast to
Judiasm and Islam, where what you *do* is as or more important than
what you *believe.* The belief system of Judiasm and Islam is pretty
simple; it's the practice that gets the textual real estate. In
Christianity, it's the opposite. Thus, not only is it *belief*
that is key, but most of it is up in the air.

Even in the early church, this was a problem. Paul, following a
vision, brought a radical interpretation of Christianity into
the forefront. Paul claimed authority based on his vision, his
determination and suffering, and the results of his work. On the
basis of this personal authority he tosses Jewish law out the
window. What most Christians don't read was the response of
the followers of Peter in the Pseudo-Clementine Homilies who
believed that Christianity should essentially remain a form
of Judiasm:

And if our Jesus appeared to you also and became known in a vision
and met you as angry with an enemy, yet he has spoken only through
visions and dreams or through external revelations. But can anyone
be made competent to teach through a vision? And if your opinion on
that is possible, why then did our teacher spend a whole year with
us wh were awake? How can we believe you even if he appeared to
you? ... But if you were visited by him for the space of an hour
and were instructed by him and thereby have become an apostle, then
proclaim his words, expound what he has taught, be a friend to his
apostles and do not contend with me, who am his confidant; for you
have in hostility withstood me, who am a firm rock, the foundation
stone of the Church (Homilies 17.19).

All may not have been quite as fluffy bunnies and candy cane among the
Apostles as a superficial reading of Acts would imply.

Paul even ran into this problem of personal interpretation when dealing
with the Corinthians. He first wrote to them that to a person at one
with Christ, *all* things are permitted. He meant, of course, that if
a person were in touch with Christ then one would only *want* to do the
right thing -- all things are lawful but not all things are "expedient"
or "beneficial". Of course, many Pauline Christians took this to mean
that anything goes, and Paul then had to write letters almost
retracting this statement and giving lists of permitted and not
permitted.

Third, because Christianity allows broad variation in faith and
practice in order to meet individual needs, it's not surprising
that this leads to exploitation of that freedom. Jesus noted that
the things that limited faith in different people are different ("If your
eye offends you, pluck it out"), and that the practice demands
of faith for one person would not be that of another. Some people
have problems with sex. Other people have problems with food.
Other people have problems with being ostentatious. And each
support group essentially forms a denomination. Some, like the
Shakers, are self-limiting. Others are not.

Fourth, Christianity is a faith that has authority based in three basic
things: the Bible, personal revelation, and tradition. Different
denominations place different emphasis on each source of authority.
Fundamentalists cling to the Bible and essentially ignore the other
two. Mystics focus on personal revelation and use the other two as
commentary and guide for the mystical experience. My pastor likes to
quote a Sufi he once knew who told him about his training in the Holy
Koran. This Sufi trained for months and was not *allowed* to read the
Holy Koran. Finally he went to his master and asked why, as a Moslem,
he was not allowed to read the Holy Koran. The master replied "First
find God. Then He will give you the insight necessary to understand
the Holy Koran." This is the basic attitude of mystics, whether they
be Christian, Moslem, or whatever. It's why a Buddhist is willing to
write the introduction to the mystical writings of the Catholic monk
Thomas Merton. And it is an attitude opposite to that of
fundamentalists who believe that reading the Book is the *way* to find
God. Finally, traditionalists focus on continuity between their beliefs
and those of the early fathers who were closest to Jesus Himself. Each
of these different approaches result in a different flavor of faith,
and all are Christian.

billo

John Watson 28-06-2004 02:02 AM

Bush and his religion?

Vox Humana wrote:

How do you account for so many denominations each having so large a
difference with fellow Christians that they can't abide belonging to the
same organization?

The second is that there is great ambiguity in most aspects of
Christianity. Jesus noted that there were really only two rules to
being a Christian: loving God above all else, and loving your neighbor
as yourself.

Yeah right!

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus instructed his followers (Matthew 5:43)

"Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, and do good to those who hate

you." This might have been a fine lesson if Jesus himself lived up to it.

But when it came to his own enemies, Jesus declared (Luke 19:27), "Take my

enemies, who would not have me rule over them, bring them here, and kill

them before me."

Everything else falls from those two. Most of the things
that people think of when they think of Christian orthodoxy are not
things that Jesus particularly cared about.

Godfrey's conquest of Jerusalem?known as the "First Crusade:"

At the Council of Clermont in 1095 CE, Pope Urban II proclaimed the First
Crusade (1095-1099); primarily to provide Christian pilgrims' access to
Jerusalem. Godfrey of Bouillon (c1060-1100) led the army that felled
Jerusalem in 1099 CE and founded the Christian kingdom of Palestine. There
are many recorded eye-witness accounts of the carnage in Jerusalem. Let us
read just a little on how Christianity implemented Jesus' dictates as set
forth in Luke 19 (something your clergy and Sunday school teachers never
told you).

From Gesta Francorum (The Deeds of the Franks):

"The defenders fled along the walls and through the city, and our men
pursued them killing and cutting them down as far as Solomon's Temple, where
there was such a massacre that our men were wading ankle deep in blood ...
Then the crusaders rushed around the whole city, seizing gold and silver,
horses and mules, and looting the housing that were full of costly things.
Then, rejoicing and weeping from excess of happiness, they all came to
worship and give thanks at the sepulchre of our saviour Jesus. Next morning,
they went cautiously up the temple roof and attacked the Saracens, both men
and women [who had taken refuge there], cutting off their heads with drawn
swords ... Our leaders then gave orders that all the Saracen corpses should
be thrown outside the city because of the stench, for almost the whole city
was full of dead bodies ... such a slaughter of pagans had never been seen
or heard of, for they were burned in pyres like pyramids, and none save God
alone knows how many they were."

Other religious nonsense snipped...

John

escapee 28-06-2004 03:02 PM

Bush and his religion?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:15:53 GMT, "Vox Humana" opined:

How do you account for so many denominations each having so large a
difference with fellow Christians that they can't abide belonging to the
same organization?

This is a true statement. I was walking the neighborhood for our bi-annual food
drive. I see a man on the block I don't know and walk up to him to hand him the
flyer with the info on it. He asks me what church this is with. I say, no
church, it's the city food drive for their food pantry. It's all legit. He
asks where we "fellowship." That must be a buzz word Christians use for what
church you attend. We say, we are Buddhist practitioners, our garden is the
church. He then has the audacity to say, and I quote, "So now you know the big
lie, would you like to know the truth?" Was that a question or an invitation, I
asked. His response was "You are lost and I can save you." I turned away and
continued walking.

So, the thing is, there are many Christians who are full of shit. This one in
particular was the pastor of his church. He never did give a can of food to our
drive. When he passes I wave and he turns the other way. Yeah, I'm the demon
who is a Buddhist practitioner. Oh well. In the name of Jesus.

Bill Oliver 28-06-2004 05:04 PM

Bush and his religion?

Vox Humana wrote:

How do you account for so many denominations each having so large a
difference with fellow Christians that they can't abide belonging to the
same organization?

The second is that there is great ambiguity in most aspects of
Christianity. Jesus noted that there were really only two rules to
being a Christian: loving God above all else, and loving your neighbor
as yourself.

Yeah right!

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus instructed his followers (Matthew 5:43)

"Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, and do good to those who hate

you." This might have been a fine lesson if Jesus himself lived up to it.

But when it came to his own enemies, Jesus declared (Luke 19:27), "Take my

enemies, who would not have me rule over them, bring them here, and kill

them before me."

Ah, I see. You do not comprehend what a parable is. You see, a
parable is when someone tells a fictional story in order to illustrate
a point. In parables, sometimes magic happens, sometimes people can
fly, sometimes things that just don't make sense in a nonfictional
world abound. That's because the story is not supposed to be taken
literally, but instead illustrates a point. In the case of the parable
Luke, contrary to your assertion, Jesus was not giving instruction to
kill; he was telling a story about a stern master. Here's a hint.
When Jesus starts a story with "A man of noble birth went to a distant
country to have himself appointed king and then to return. So he called
ten of his servants and gave them ten minas..." that didn't *really*
happen see. It's a *parable.*

Everything else falls from those two. Most of the things
that people think of when they think of Christian orthodoxy are not
things that Jesus particularly cared about.

Godfrey's conquest of Jerusalem?known as the "First Crusade:"

At the Council of Clermont in 1095 CE, Pope Urban II

Oddly enough, in spite of your contention, Pope Urban II is
not Jesus Christ. Reread my statement.

Other religious nonsense snipped...

And what is your point? That cruel people will do cruel things
under any given flag? Certainly. Do you want a litany of things
done under the flag of atheism and anti-Christian activism? Are
you going to accept the blame for the murder of kulaks under Stalin,
the killing fields of Cambodia, etc. Certainly in the past couple
hundred years, millions more people have been murdered in the name
of atheism than in the name of any deist religion.

Bill Oliver 28-06-2004 05:05 PM

Bush and his religion?

In article ,
escapee wrote:

So, the thing is, there are many Christians who are full of shit.

And there are many Buddhists who are full of shit.
And there are many Moslems who are full of shit.
And there are many Jews who are full of shit.
And there are many atheists who are full of shit.
And there are many pagans who are full of shit.
And there are many Hindus who are full of shit.
And there are many Zoroastrians who are full of shit.

Oh well. In the name of Jesus.

And choosing one such of any these religions as characterizing
the faith as a whole is simple bigotry. You are, in your
condemnation of him, no different than the man you condemn.

billo