Old 19-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Glenn Pavlovic

Default string trimmer wheels

I love these!
www.weedwheels.com
Glenn
Old 19-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Travis

Glenn Pavlovic wrote:

I love these!
www.weedwheels.com
Glenn

People who spam should be shot.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 19-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Ron Hardin

You can do a nice job easily with a soft-steel scythe (low carbon steel
takes a very sharp edge, though you have to sharpen it often)

Just put the point between building and grass you want to trim, and
pull forward and away from the building. It takes out a foot or so
out at a time. No great swing is necessary; it works by being
almost razor sharp.

No gasoline, no noise.

I got my blade at http://www.scythesupply.com though the snath I already
had from elsewhere. You also need a sharpening stone and peening jig;
sharpening is part of using it. He has some deal on a complete outfit.

I find it enjoyable, and have dedicated my drainage ditch out front
to scythe lawn-cutting; and go out occasionally and trim up some more
of it, just for the entertainment.

Seymour makes snaths and scythe blades, but the blades are high-carbon
steel and don't take the necessary edge to do grass. The scythesupply
blades sort of fit the Seymour snath but you have to wedge in a bit
of wood to compensate for the key not fitting all the way into the
hole; I'd get the sycthesupply snath if I were doing it over.

(snath=the long oddly shaped handle the blade goes into, its odd
shape making the blade come out exactly parallel to the ground
with no effort on your part holding it there.)
--
Ron Hardin