Old 02-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Ned

Default %$@#*&^ utility workmen

"Blues Ma" wrote in message

It's always best to find out what the utility easements are around your
property. These are legally defined and easily determined.
If you have valuable trees that begin to encroach that area, have them
trimmed by a professional before the utility hacking season.

Excellent advice. I used to work for the power company, you would be
surprised how many people plant in the right-of-way without giving a
thought. People would get upset when their shrubs/trees would be destroyed,
and only had themselves to blame. CIE would always excavate and plant grass
seed when we had to go through the right-of-way, never would we replace
shrubs/trees/concrete/sheds and just about anything you could think of.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:02 AM
OhSojourner

Frogleg wrote:

On 01 Jul 2004 02:34:05 GMT, (OhSojourner) wrote:

I'm steamed about this. It wasn't necessary to remove the trellis in

order to
do their job. It's also not a comforting thought to know there's no

guarantee
of keeping things protected and maintained on your own property.

You might call the electric co. and ask if you can be informed ahead
of time when they plan to do trimming in your area. If you're very
polite (and pitiful) about your ruined Schisandra, they *might* help
you out with a new plant.

Update: I sent them an email yesterday, and they responded shortly afterwards
with an apologetic email, promising to follow up to get more details. Now I'm
hoping that I can locate a plant of similar age so I know how much they can
reimburse me for.

Thing is, utility companies' business isn't horticulture. "A little
bit in the way" to you is simply "in the way" to a trimming crew. If
you don't want things slashed down and hacked out, check with the
company to see what kind of clearance is supposed to be maintained,
and do your own trimming.

None of my own plants were in the way of power lines. They were working on a
very tall, old tree that was on the other side of a fence on the border of my
property. They were trimming some of the higher branches, and they decided to
toss the branches onto my property (in the direction of the trellis, where
other workmen ), when they could have accessed the tree and tossed the branches
onto the other lot (which was behind a garage where nobody was growing
anything). The fact that they could have used this vacant area instead is
what's especially annoying.

Of course, maybe they were just following their scheduled paperwork and the
tree "belonged" to my street (not the street of the adjacent lot that would
have sustained less damage). Actually, I'm not even sure whose tree it is.
It's behind a fence that somebody put up years before I bought the property, so
I assumed it was the property of the neighbors. Maybe not, if what I'm
deducing is correct.

Incidentally, this was the same power company who was at fault for the major
blackout last year. Maybe they just hire klutzy people (and/or were trying to
overcompensate for the mishap that happened last year.) Well, at least,
hopefully I might be able to get the plant replaced.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:04 AM
madgardener

I hope you were able to determine if Heronswood Nursery has the vine you
need..........
madgardener

Old 02-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Beecrofter

Those unsightly utility poles can be easily pruned with a chainsaw. . .
Old 04-07-2004, 04:02 PM
madgardener

yes they can......and a little stump remover, they'll dissolve back into the
ground. Problem is, Bee, that they regenerate with impunity.......the
Utility mother plant is notorious for that g something about the
dependent life forms that reside around those utility poles that require
their replacements......................lol
madgardener
"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
Those unsightly utility poles can be easily pruned with a chainsaw. . .

Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Zemedelec

I've noticed that people who work on the outside of a house seem to have no
visual acuity below their knees. So with each new worker I warn him: "...and
please don't step on the plants." Usually works.
zemedelec

[IMG] code is On

Utility Trailer Dieseldog North Carolina 8 13-07-2005 05:16 PM
Utility Box Cover davidp Lawns 2 04-07-2005 05:37 PM
Prunning Trees Near Utility Lines John A. Keslick, Jr. Gardening 0 26-01-2005 06:32 PM
Free satellite imagery + free utility available for making beautiful base maps Geosage Plant Science 0 23-09-2004 03:13 PM
Which utility trailer to buy? Snowbear ok? [email protected] Lawns 1 30-04-2004 09:02 PM