Old 02-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Prithviraj Dasgupta

Default Novice question about grass clippings

Hello,

I moved into a new home in Omaha, NE last month. The home
came with a fair-sized lawn, approx 10,000 sq ft. The
grass (Kentucky blue) was not mowed for about 10 days when
we moved in. One of my neighbors advised me to mulch the
grass while I was mowing the first few times. I did that
twice over the last two weeks. But since then patches of mulched
grass are scattered all over the lawn, making it look
quite unattractive. It has been raining regularly over
the last few weeks and the grass is quite green otherwise.
How do I remove those grass clippings? Is hand picking an
option or should I use the blower/vac? Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards
-Raj Dasgupta
Old 02-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Blues Ma

Prithviraj Dasgupta wrote:

Hello,

I moved into a new home in Omaha, NE last month. The home
came with a fair-sized lawn, approx 10,000 sq ft. The
grass (Kentucky blue) was not mowed for about 10 days when
we moved in. One of my neighbors advised me to mulch the
grass while I was mowing the first few times. I did that
twice over the last two weeks. But since then patches of mulched
grass are scattered all over the lawn, making it look
quite unattractive. It has been raining regularly over
the last few weeks and the grass is quite green otherwise.
How do I remove those grass clippings? Is hand picking an
option or should I use the blower/vac? Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards
-Raj Dasgupta

Mulch mowing should not leave piles of grass.
Are you sure your mower has a mulching blade and the chute
blocker is in place correctly ?
If it is a mulcher, going over the piles a second time should make
the blade remnants fine enough to sink out of sight.

Ma
*
*

Old 02-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Vox Humana

"Prithviraj Dasgupta" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I moved into a new home in Omaha, NE last month. The home
came with a fair-sized lawn, approx 10,000 sq ft. The
grass (Kentucky blue) was not mowed for about 10 days when
we moved in. One of my neighbors advised me to mulch the
grass while I was mowing the first few times. I did that
twice over the last two weeks. But since then patches of mulched
grass are scattered all over the lawn, making it look
quite unattractive. It has been raining regularly over
the last few weeks and the grass is quite green otherwise.
How do I remove those grass clippings? Is hand picking an
option or should I use the blower/vac? Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

The most common way to remove grass clipping from a lawn is with a rake. If
that is too much work, then I would do what the other poster recommended and
mow over them several times until they dissipate. Even a mulching mower
will leave clumps if the grass is too high or it is wet when you mow.

Old 03-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Travis

Prithviraj Dasgupta wrote:

Hello,

I moved into a new home in Omaha, NE last month. The home
came with a fair-sized lawn, approx 10,000 sq ft. The
grass (Kentucky blue) was not mowed for about 10 days when
we moved in. One of my neighbors advised me to mulch the
grass while I was mowing the first few times. I did that
twice over the last two weeks. But since then patches of mulched
grass are scattered all over the lawn, making it look
quite unattractive. It has been raining regularly over
the last few weeks and the grass is quite green otherwise.
How do I remove those grass clippings? Is hand picking an
option or should I use the blower/vac? Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

When it stops raining mow again but put the bag on the mower. You
should cut no more than 1/3 of the length of the grass blades continue
this over a couple of weeks until the grass is at the desired height
whick should be 2 to 3 inches.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 PM
GrampysGurl

How do I remove those grass clippings? Is hand picking an
option or should I use the blower/vac? Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards
-Raj Dasgupta

I would mow the lawn twice when it gets that long, once north to south and then
east to west or south to north west to east your choice but I would go both
ways..... This way cutting up all those clumps adding organic material to the
ground. I always mulch my clippings, I've never bagged them.
Colleen
Zone 5 CT

Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 PM
GrampysGurl

the desired height
whick should be 2 to 3 inches.

or 3-4 inches for water conservation and to encourage birdlife to come in and
help with grub/insect control )
Colleen
Zone 5 CT
Old 08-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Stephen M. Henning

(Prithviraj Dasgupta) wrote:

I moved into a new home in Omaha, NE last month. The home
came with a fair-sized lawn, approx 10,000 sq ft. The
grass (Kentucky blue) was not mowed for about 10 days when
we moved in. One of my neighbors advised me to mulch the
grass while I was mowing the first few times. I did that
twice over the last two weeks. But since then patches of mulched
grass are scattered all over the lawn, making it look
quite unattractive. It has been raining regularly over
the last few weeks and the grass is quite green otherwise.
How do I remove those grass clippings? Is hand picking an
option or should I use the blower/vac? Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

The clippings will eventually work their way down and compost naturally
adding rich humus to your soil. To prevent them from causing dead areas
in the grass, mow often so the clippings get moved around. A good mower
will spread the clippings uniformly so they don't cause an unsightly
problem. I just mowed areas of my lawn that had not been mowed for 7
weeks (we were on vacation). These areas look unsightly now but will
look OK in a couple weeks. The clippings work their way down.

Penn State has good advice for lawn care at:
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deput...an_Do/lawn.htm

Here is what they say:
"Unless grass clippings are excessive, they do not have to be routinely
removed from most lawns. Allowing them to decompose recycles plant
nutrients and reduces the solid waste disposal problem and the time and
effort required for mowing."

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

[IMG] code is On

Grass clippings as mulch? Sam United Kingdom 4 19-05-2004 10:15 PM
Grass clippings John DeBoo Gardening 9 15-08-2003 06:07 AM
Leave grass clippings on site? (not composting this year) pgh Gardening 3 17-04-2003 01:32 PM
Grass Clippings Paul Smart Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Grass Clippings Paul Smart Australia 7 29-03-2003 04:32 PM