Old 05-07-2004, 11:02 PM
anil chada

Default Regarding Lawn Care

Hi --

Last fall we paid some one to replace our lawn. Most of our lawn looks
good but lot of areas the lawn is not thick. This is causing some
weeds to prop up in the lawn. I am trying to figure out a way to
thinken my lawn
One of the reason for thin lawn i am thinking is the ground level.
Where ever the lawn is thin, i am assuming the ground is not leveled
so the grass is not spreading properly.
I was just wondering whether i can put some top soil and rake it to
level the ground.
Does any one has any suggestions about making my lawn think?
I live near cleveland, OH area. When the landscaper put the lawn he
used Kentucky Blue grass and he said he used 50%-50% mix. I am not
sure what exactly that mix is!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Anil
Old 05-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Barfin' Bob

anil chada wrote:
Does any one has any suggestions about making my lawn think?

I hear fish is good food for the brain.

Old 06-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Vox Humana

"anil chada" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Weeds are common in a new lawn. Until your lawn becomes thick, I would
start in early spring with an application of turf builder with weed
preventer. You can follow that with turf builder with weed control to help
get rid of the existing weeds. In the fall, around October, I would rake
the thin areas and over-seed. In late fall, put down an application of
"winterize" turf builder. Also, since you summers are hot, dry, and humid,
I would consider overseeding with a fine fescue instead of the Kentucky Blue
grass which doesn't do well in the heat.

By the way, the Ohio Cooperative Extension Agency is a great resource for
yard and garden questions. Here is the link:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/

Old 06-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Doug Kanter

Unless the ground's so severely slanted that the seed is literally washing
away with the rain, the incline has absolutely nothing do to with your
problem.

Old 09-07-2004, 01:49 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Humana
"anil chada" wrote in message
m...
Does any one has any suggestions about making my lawn think?
Thanks
Anil

Weeds are common in a new lawn. Until your lawn becomes thick, I would
start in early spring with an application of turf builder with weed
preventer. You can follow that with turf builder with weed control to help
get rid of the existing weeds. In the fall, around October, I would rake
the thin areas and over-seed. In late fall, put down an application of
"winterize" turf builder. Also, since you summers are hot, dry, and humid,
I would consider overseeding with a fine fescue instead of the Kentucky Blue
grass which doesn't do well in the heat.

By the way, the Ohio Cooperative Extension Agency is a great resource for
yard and garden questions. Here is the link:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/
I would agree with this post, but think it would be ok to do the overseeding in September, in Ohio. Uneven places in the lawn may indicate the soil has settled, or that there may be a drainage issue, or that some soil amendment may be needed. Also, your mowing practices can have something to do with it -- some mowers tend to scalp, or cut lower, wherever the ground is uneven, and this would hurt new grass. Maybe raise the mower deck in these areas to give the grass a better chance.