Old 11-07-2004, 09:02 PM

Default need help identifying this salad green

hi,
photo is located he
http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?showtopic=46784

does anybody know what this is? i brought some from a greenmarket
vendor, but forgot to jot down the name of it. I thought it would be
a bitter salad green that you can use raw, but having tasting the raw
leaves, i found it definately bitter, with a slight burning sensation
at the back of my throat. cooking it down, it tastes exactly like
spinach. however, some ppl have said it looks like red shiso, or opal
basil, but both seem unlikely.

is this spinach? if so, what variety is it?

if not spinach, what can it be?

thanks,
Old 12-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Qi Wang

hi,
photo is located he
http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?showtopic=46784

does anybody know what this is? i brought some from a greenmarket
vendor, but forgot to jot down the name of it. I thought it would be
a bitter salad green that you can use raw, but having tasting the raw
leaves, i found it definately bitter, with a slight burning sensation
at the back of my throat. cooking it down, it tastes exactly like
spinach. however, some ppl have said it looks like red shiso, or opal
basil, but both seem unlikely.

Isn't it amaranthus? not sure though.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:02 PM
mel turner

In article ,
[r] wrote...

hi,
photo is located he
http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?showtopic=46784

does anybody know what this is? i brought some from a greenmarket
vendor, but forgot to jot down the name of it. I thought it would be
a bitter salad green that you can use raw, but having tasting the raw
leaves, i found it definately bitter, with a slight burning sensation
at the back of my throat. cooking it down, it tastes exactly like
spinach. however, some ppl have said it looks like red shiso, or opal
basil, but both seem unlikely.

is this spinach? if so, what variety is it?

if not spinach, what can it be?

Looks like an amaranth, Amaranthus sp. Not all have leaf
markings like in your photo.

http://agronomy.ucdavis.edu/gepts/pb...h/amaranth.htm
http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/a...spinosus_C.htm
http://www.psu.missouri.edu/fishel/palmer_amaranth.htm
http://www.tropilab.com/amaranth.html

cheers

Old 13-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Bob S.

Richard Wright wrote in message . ..
Try the purple leaved variety of sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum).

Hard to tell from a photo without being able to smell or taste, but
that would be my guess also. Mine looks very much like that.

Bob S.