Old 14-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Jay Chan

Default What Will Climber Do in Nature?

I am curious about what climbers will do in their nature environment.
Here I am referring to climbers that can train on vertical surface
with our help, but cannot do this without human help. Will they simply
crawl around on the ground and become something like ground cover?

Thanks.

Jay Chan
Old 14-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Frank Logullo

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...
I am curious about what climbers will do in their nature environment.
Here I am referring to climbers that can train on vertical surface
with our help, but cannot do this without human help. Will they simply
crawl around on the ground and become something like ground cover?

Are we talking about John Edwards here?
Frank

Old 14-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Cereus-validus

How about naming the specific plants to which you allude?

Most garden cultivars will not persist in the wild. The garden is their
"natural" environment.

om...

Old 14-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Cereus-validus

No we are talking about that dim Dubaya.

Without his handlers, that mook surely would be a danger to himself!!!

"Frank Logullo" wrote in message

om...

Old 15-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Jay Chan

How about naming the specific plants to which you allude?

Actually, I am not asking for any specific plant; I am just asking
this in general. Having said that, I have a climbing rose in my garden
that has pinky red flowers in early summer that I need to tie its
branches to a vertical support; otherwise, its branches will go
horizontally. I don't know if the branches will go down and crawl on
the ground or not because I always prune them or tie them before they
go that far.

Most garden cultivars will not persist in the wild. The garden is their
"natural" environment.

Do you mean a climber is probably something that people developed
through the years in a man-made environment and only mean to live in a
garden and not in nature?

Thanks in advance for any info. I am curious.

Jay Chan

Old 16-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...
How about naming the specific plants to which you allude?

Actually, I am not asking for any specific plant; I am just asking
this in general. Having said that, I have a climbing rose in my garden
that has pinky red flowers in early summer that I need to tie its
branches to a vertical support; otherwise, its branches will go
horizontally. I don't know if the branches will go down and crawl on
the ground or not because I always prune them or tie them before they
go that far.

Most garden cultivars will not persist in the wild. The garden is their
"natural" environment.

Do you mean a climber is probably something that people developed
through the years in a man-made environment and only mean to live in a
garden and not in nature?

Thanks in advance for any info. I am curious.

Climbing roses are definitely the result of human intervention, typically
hybridized from rose species that are sprawlers or ramblers by nature and
generate long, flexible canes.

True vines, many of which have very natural origins, will adapt themselves
to their local environment and grow on/through/over whatever other plant
material is available. If no other plants around, they tend to be sprawling
groundcovers, but there is usually always a tree or shrub or some sort of
woody vegetation in the proximity to clamber on.

pam - gardengal

Old 19-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Jay Chan

Climbing roses are definitely the result of human intervention, typically
hybridized from rose species that are sprawlers or ramblers by nature and
generate long, flexible canes.

True vines, many of which have very natural origins, will adapt themselves
to their local environment and grow on/through/over whatever other plant
material is available. If no other plants around, they tend to be sprawling
groundcovers, but there is usually always a tree or shrub or some sort of
woody vegetation in the proximity to clamber on.

Thanks for the explanation. This makes sense now.

Jay Chan