Old 21-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Jutta Haas

Default Oleander

if you think about how thick the stalks really are, it does take a while for
roots to develop. If you take a slip from an impatients, it only takes a
week, but the slip is much thinner and lighter. I would renew the water
every now and then. I would also wait until you have a good and healthy root
system before you plant.
"Lee" wrote in message
om...
"Blue" wrote in message

"Simpledog" wrote in message
I just cut about 12 stalks, and put them in water.

We'll see what happens.

I have a hard time believing you can just sink them in water and expect

them
to thrive. Why not just poke them in potting soil and maybe ( and

maybe
not) tent them for a while?

it usually works if done at the right time of year. In Feb of i think
about 1984 (zone 7) my neighbor cut his althea back severly and i took
a dozen or so of the whips, removed the lower leaves and stuck them
in a bucket with about 4 inches of water, left them in the solarium in
a shaded area, added water when needed and nearly everyone of them
sprouted. was able to have a nice line of them on the north property
line. This was when i had the lake place. My neighbor was a fine
gardner and very wise and i learned a lot from him. I can't remember
if I tipped them or not.
lee h

Old 27-07-2004, 03:17 AM
Jutta Haas

I've only ever rooted 3 or so at a time. I don't know if plant food helps or
hinders. I don't think you need it. I just remembered that for some reason
not all slips root. Also, depending on the zone you live in, they don't
overwinter through frost. I always take mine in. So much for your hedge,
maybe.

"Simpledog" wrote in message
Ok, can I put a dozen or so in the same bucket? Would any thing aid

(within
the water) rooting, such as some diluted plant food?

"Jutta Haas" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...
yes you can! I've done it many times. You take a slip and put it in

water,
and from the nodes the roots will come; make sure you have no leaves on

the
lower nodes. It'll take a few weeks for the roots to take.
Be patient. Good luck.

"Simpledog" wrote in message
Can you grow Oleander bushes from their clipping stems, putting them

in
water? Will they root, and be able to be transplanted? I'm looking

for
cheap way to add shrubbery.

TIA

[IMG] code is On

Oleander - How Poisonous? David Hare-Scott Gardening 14 06-05-2003 11:20 AM
Oleander Big Wave Lawns 0 28-04-2003 08:32 PM
Oleander yellow aphids bentcajungirl Lawns 1 28-04-2003 05:56 AM
Red Oleander Seeds Angela Coffey Gardening 2 26-04-2003 05:08 PM
Propagation of oleander ncstockguy North Carolina 1 06-03-2003 07:03 PM