Old 18-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Simpledog

Default Oleander

Can you grow Oleander bushes from their clipping stems, putting them in
water? Will they root, and be able to be transplanted? I'm looking for a
cheap way to add shrubbery.

TIA

Old 18-07-2004, 12:02 AM
datsy

The answer is *yes* - some 30 years ago my father persuaded me to illegally
import cuttings of oleander from Germany to the UK because he couldn't get
them here (still haven't seen any oleander in the UK!) - they grew
fantastically once rooted - just needed bringing in during the winter.

Old 18-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Jutta Haas

yes you can! I've done it many times. You take a slip and put it in water,
and from the nodes the roots will come; make sure you have no leaves on the
lower nodes. It'll take a few weeks for the roots to take.
Be patient. Good luck.

Old 18-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Simpledog

Ok, can I put a dozen or so in the same bucket? Would any thing aid (within
the water) rooting, such as some diluted plant food?

t.cable.rogers.com...

Old 18-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Jutta Haas

I've only ever rooted 3 or so at a time. I don't know if plant food helps or
hinders. I don't think you need it. I just remembered that for some reason
not all slips root. Also, depending on the zone you live in, they don't
overwinter through frost. I always take mine in. So much for your hedge,
maybe.

"Simpledog" wrote in message
Ok, can I put a dozen or so in the same bucket? Would any thing aid

(within
the water) rooting, such as some diluted plant food?

t.cable.rogers.com...

Old 18-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Bob S.

"Simpledog" wrote in message .. .
Ok, can I put a dozen or so in the same bucket? Would any thing aid (within
the water) rooting, such as some diluted plant food?

I'm experimenting with the same thing. I put 6 cuttings in a jar of
water with a little Miracle Grow and a little rooting compound. They
all died. Guess I'll go back to the basics.

Bob S.
Old 18-07-2004, 10:02 PM
David Hill

"............. Ok, can I put a dozen or so in the same bucket? Would any
thing aid (within the water) rooting, such as some diluted plant food?
..........."

I have been wondering something along similar lines.
I have been wondering if you added some of the crystals that you get to give
cut flowers a longer life, as it also keeps the water sweet for several
weeks.
Wouldn't be as strong as a liquid fertilizer

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 18-07-2004, 11:02 PM
William Wagner

Another Willow ref

http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/archi...95/willow.html

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade
There is atleast one word misspelled deliberately in the above post. )

Old 19-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Lee

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
"............. Ok, can I put a dozen or so in the same bucket? Would any
thing aid (within the water) rooting, such as some diluted plant food?
.........."

I have been wondering something along similar lines.
I have been wondering if you added some of the crystals that you get to give
cut flowers a longer life, as it also keeps the water sweet for several
weeks.
Wouldn't be as strong as a liquid fertilizer

well dangety, dang dang! now y'all got me thinkin' about making some
more Oleanders! I got too many OTHER 'babies' started now, but i do
love that pink Ole and i guess i could use another on the northside.
probably have better luck this fall. but think i'll try it tomorrow.
Think i'll try some superthrive on the roots for one, some vinegar on
another, rooting harmone on one and if can find some one with a
willow, some willow on another. ...may not have any Oleander left
though, if i do that many.. tomorrow i'll be thinking clearer and
maybe forget the whole thing! G got too many plants started anyway..
thinking of setting some out in front with a for sale sign LOL!!!!
on the fence....lee h....P.S. i think it fowls the water to put
fertilizer in it. i seem to remember that the superthrive fowled the
water,too, but was OK when starting a cutting in soil...???
Old 19-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Simpledog

I just cut about 12 stalks, and put them in water.

We'll see what happens.

"Lee" wrote in message
m...

Old 19-07-2004, 06:02 AM
David Ross

Simpledog wrote:

Ok, can I put a dozen or so in the same bucket? Would any thing aid (within
the water) rooting, such as some diluted plant food?

Adding nutrients before roots are established promotes rot. Use
just plain water.

Better, root the cuttings in a mix of peat moss and sand. (See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html, but omit
all nutrients.) Potting up cuttings rooted in water often injures
the roots.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 19-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Blue

"Simpledog" wrote in message
I just cut about 12 stalks, and put them in water.

We'll see what happens.

I have a hard time believing you can just sink them in water and expect them
to thrive. Why not just poke them in potting soil and maybe ( and maybe
not) tent them for a while?

Old 20-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Lee

"Blue" wrote in message ...
"Simpledog" wrote in message
I just cut about 12 stalks, and put them in water.

We'll see what happens.

I have a hard time believing you can just sink them in water and expect them
to thrive. Why not just poke them in potting soil and maybe ( and maybe
not) tent them for a while?

it usually works if done at the right time of year. In Feb of i think
about 1984 (zone 7) my neighbor cut his althea back severly and i took
a dozen or so of the whips, removed the lower leaves and stuck them
in a bucket with about 4 inches of water, left them in the solarium in
a shaded area, added water when needed and nearly everyone of them
sprouted. was able to have a nice line of them on the north property
line. This was when i had the lake place. My neighbor was a fine
gardner and very wise and i learned a lot from him. I can't remember
if I tipped them or not.
lee h

[IMG] code is On

Oleander - How Poisonous? David Hare-Scott Gardening 14 06-05-2003 11:20 AM
Oleander Big Wave Lawns 0 28-04-2003 08:32 PM
Oleander yellow aphids bentcajungirl Lawns 1 28-04-2003 05:56 AM
Red Oleander Seeds Angela Coffey Gardening 2 26-04-2003 05:08 PM
Propagation of oleander ncstockguy North Carolina 1 06-03-2003 07:03 PM