Old 18-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Chris

Default A Green Wall?

My neighbor recently cut down a bunch of tall trees that did a pretty
good job of hiding his mess from my mess. To remedy this situation
quickly, I want to do this:

1/ Sink 20' rebar into concrete-filled buckets
2/ String bird netting or deer netting between these pieces of rebar,
and
3/ Grow some fast-growing climbing plants (flowering, edible or
whatever) to grow up the netting and thus having a very high green
wall.

This would probably need to be kept from tipping over somehow from
wind, but this seems to be a minor point.

Can anyone find any faults with this project and can anyone suggest
plants for this project?

Thanks
Old 18-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Vox Humana

"Chris" wrote in message
m...
My neighbor recently cut down a bunch of tall trees that did a pretty
good job of hiding his mess from my mess. To remedy this situation
quickly, I want to do this:

1/ Sink 20' rebar into concrete-filled buckets
2/ String bird netting or deer netting between these pieces of rebar,
and
3/ Grow some fast-growing climbing plants (flowering, edible or
whatever) to grow up the netting and thus having a very high green
wall.

This would probably need to be kept from tipping over somehow from
wind, but this seems to be a minor point.

Can anyone find any faults with this project and can anyone suggest
plants for this project?

The main fault I see is that it may be very temporary. Any food crop will
complete its lifecycle and die, leaving you with the original problem.
Depending on where you live, it might not meet zoning regulations. I
wouldn't think that a bucket of concrete would hold a twenty food piece of
rebar. When you add wind load to the equation, you will have some
considerable torque to deal with. If the thing falls and injures someone or
causes damage to your neighbor's property, you could be facing some big
liability. If the arrangement is ridiculously unstable, you could be facing
criminal negligence should someone get injured or killed.

Old 18-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Mike Prager

1/ Sink 20' rebar into concrete-filled buckets
2/ String bird netting or deer netting between these pieces of rebar,
and
3/ Grow some fast-growing climbing plants (flowering, edible or
whatever) to grow up the netting and thus having a very high green
wall.

Can anyone find any faults with this project and can anyone suggest
plants for this project?

Where do you live? How long do you plan to stay in the place?

Agree with V.H. that this may not last well. Wind is one
problem, rot of the netting is another.

There may be woody plants that will grow fast enough for your
needs. That could be more attractive. Whether is's feasible
depends on the two questions asked.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
Old 18-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Warren

Vox Humana wrote:

The main fault I see is that it may be very temporary. Any food crop

will
complete its lifecycle and die, leaving you with the original problem.
Depending on where you live, it might not meet zoning regulations. I
wouldn't think that a bucket of concrete would hold a twenty food

piece of
rebar. When you add wind load to the equation, you will have some
considerable torque to deal with. If the thing falls and injures

someone or
causes damage to your neighbor's property, you could be facing some

big
liability. If the arrangement is ridiculously unstable, you could be

facing
criminal negligence should someone get injured or killed.

As Vox points out, the structure falling over isn't a "minor point". It
probably will fall over before the neighborhood bookie can fill-up all
the slots in the betting pool. The big question would be what damage
it'll do, and will someone get hurt in the process.

Also, depending on how local laws define it, this could be considered a
fence, and could be subject to height restrictions. When it falls and
hurts someone or something, not having the proper permits for a 20' high
fence is going to add to your problems. You may find your home owner's
insurance will refuse to cover your liability because the structure was
built without permit.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Get Black and Decker Landscaping Tools He
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...ker/index.html