Old 19-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Phisherman

Default Identify evergreen

I see a plant with dark green leathery wavy leaves. The plant looks
like a holly as it has waxy leaves perhaps 1.5" long, but without
points. This plant has been growing for over 5 years and stands about
4 feet tall, more cylinder in shape and upright. It does not drop its
leaves in winter and lives well in zone 7, east TN. This plant is not
on my property, although I could get a leaf and scan it.
(Unfortunately I do not own a camera.) I'm not certain about flowers
or berries. If it is a holly, the wavy rounded leaves makes it
unique. The woody stems are upright. Any ideas?
Old 19-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I see a plant with dark green leathery wavy leaves. The plant looks
like a holly as it has waxy leaves perhaps 1.5" long, but without
points. This plant has been growing for over 5 years and stands about
4 feet tall, more cylinder in shape and upright. It does not drop its
leaves in winter and lives well in zone 7, east TN. This plant is not
on my property, although I could get a leaf and scan it.
(Unfortunately I do not own a camera.) I'm not certain about flowers
or berries. If it is a holly, the wavy rounded leaves makes it
unique. The woody stems are upright. Any ideas?

Since there are some 400 species of Ilex (holly), numerous hybrids and
countless cultivars, only a few of which possess the typical pointed "holly"
leaf, it is a possibility, but without more specifics it would be silly to
even hazard a guess. And there are other broadleaf evergreen shrubs which
fit your description. A picture of both the plant as a whole and twig with a
leaf detail would help; also any indication of flowers and fruit. Maybe you
could borrow a camera?

pam - gardengal

Old 20-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Phisherman

I have posted two scans of some leaves taken from the plant and posted
it on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I can't seem to get a camera,
but I may use my artistic talent to sketch the plant if that would
help. If not a holly, might this plant be a Euonymous?? Thanks!