Old 08-02-2003, 08:24 PM
JoAnna

Default Greenhouse for herbs?

Hi all,

I am very new to all this and have many questions. I looked up my zone and I
am 6B (althought I don't know what this means yet)

I would like to build a small lean-to greenhouse, big enough to walk into,
where I can grow herbs year-round and maybe tomoatoes and peppers. First of
all, can I grow these things year round?

I have been looking at the kits and will start to read up on greenhouses as
soon as I can get to the library. Is it possible to set things up so i don't
have to use an addtional heater? It makes me nervous to use gas or electric
heaters when I am not around.

I would like the set-up to be permanent so I am looking at the glass kits.
They seem to be the same price as ones I've seen that have corrugated
fiberglass. Is there a benefit of one type over another? I am really into
ease-of-maintenance.

Any info is greatly apprecited, Thanks!
JoAnna

Old 09-02-2003, 08:01 AM
animaux

You can, but the leanto h as to be on the south wall, and it will need heat at
night in your zone.

Old 09-02-2003, 08:01 AM
simy1

"JoAnna" wrote in message .net...
Hi all,

I am very new to all this and have many questions. I looked up my zone and I
am 6B (althought I don't know what this means yet)

I would like to build a small lean-to greenhouse, big enough to walk into,
where I can grow herbs year-round and maybe tomoatoes and peppers. First of
all, can I grow these things year round?

it depends. Will you heat the GH? Will you be willing to grow more
cold tolerant veggies in the cold season (say, chard or lettuce
instead of tomatoes)? How will you ventilate the GH?

I have been looking at the kits and will start to read up on greenhouses as
soon as I can get to the library. Is it possible to set things up so i don't
have to use an addtional heater? It makes me nervous to use gas or electric
heaters when I am not around.

I agree. If you are willing to put in enough thermal ballast (55 gal
drums filled with water lined against the back wall) the temperature
inside should not go below 27-28F without any heating. You may
consider also a double layer arrangement, where you place poly film on
the inside of the GH, so as to create a air gap between the outside
panel and the film (that will probably keep it above freezing year
round). With 27-28F, you should be able to grow many salad greens year
round. Some herbs, such as mint, thyme, oregano or lemon balm, are
cold tolerant (sage can take a surprising amount of frost too). I
think it is possible for you to have veggies and herbs year round, as
long as you let go of the summer things (that means no basil, too).

I would like the set-up to be permanent so I am looking at the glass kits.
They seem to be the same price as ones I've seen that have corrugated
fiberglass. Is there a benefit of one type over another? I am really into
ease-of-maintenance.

I don't know that I would want glass around when I am maneuvering with
my
wheelbarrow full of manure. These plastics are actually quite durable.
You will definitely need automated ventilation because you can burn
plants even in january. You may consider sealing the GH in the summer
for a couple of weeks for sterilization purposes (but if you have
mostly herbs and cold weather greens, they are on the whole very
disease resistant).

Any info is greatly apprecited, Thanks!
JoAnna

Place hardware cloth around the base of the GH to prevent voles from
coming in.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

If you send a short note to my home address I will tell you just about
anything you might like to know..a little too lenghty for posting on the
forum......have used a greenhouse of this type for many a year...heating
really is not a problem if done well. Harold W.