Old 27-07-2004, 05:35 AM
William Brown

Default Hedge recommendations

We live in a city in Zone 5/6. We have a privet hedge around our front
yard, which looks nice and has survived, but over the years it has
gradually grown higher and wider, to the point that it has to be
severely cut back; I'm wondering if it will survive this and considering
just removing it and putting in another.

While the privet is nice, it grows rapidly and requires frequent
trimming. We want a hedge that is about eighteen inches or two feet
high, and perhaps eighteen inches thick. What types of hedge would look
good trimmed to that size, and perhaps not grow as rapidly as the privet?
there.

Old 27-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Felder

William Brown ) wrote...
We live in a city in Zone 5/6. We have a privet hedge around our front
yard, which looks nice and has survived, but over the years it has
gradually grown higher and wider, to the point that it has to be
severely cut back; I'm wondering if it will survive this and considering
just removing it and putting in another.

While the privet is nice, it grows rapidly and requires frequent
trimming. We want a hedge that is about eighteen inches or two feet
high, and perhaps eighteen inches thick. What types of hedge would look
good trimmed to that size, and perhaps not grow as rapidly as the privet?

Boxwood would work well.

Old 27-07-2004, 12:33 PM
William Wagner

William Brown ) wrote...
We live in a city in Zone 5/6. We have a privet hedge around our front
yard, which looks nice and has survived, but over the years it has
gradually grown higher and wider, to the point that it has to be
severely cut back; I'm wondering if it will survive this and considering
just removing it and putting in another.

While the privet is nice, it grows rapidly and requires frequent
trimming. We want a hedge that is about eighteen inches or two feet
high, and perhaps eighteen inches thick. What types of hedge would look
good trimmed to that size, and perhaps not grow as rapidly as the privet?

I like Japanese Holly. Birds like it too.

William(Bill)

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade Earth sometimes.
There is atleast one word misspelled deliberately in the above post. )

Old 27-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Will Renkel

William Brown writes:
We live in a city in Zone 5/6. We have a privet hedge around our front
yard, which looks nice and has survived, but over the years it has
gradually grown higher and wider, to the point that it has to be
severely cut back; I'm wondering if it will survive this and considering
just removing it and putting in another.

While the privet is nice, it grows rapidly and requires frequent
trimming. We want a hedge that is about eighteen inches or two feet
high, and perhaps eighteen inches thick. What types of hedge would look
good trimmed to that size, and perhaps not grow as rapidly as the privet?
there.

I am trying shrub roses for such a situation.
I planted them about 2 feet apart and so far so good.
They each have about 15 flowers on them and look gorgeous.
Problem though - maintenance,
Dead head shrubs weekly.
But looks great.
No pics available yet.