Old 23-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Roy

Default Question on Bald Crypress

Well I planted my bald cypress trees in my poond in abojut 12 to 18
inches of water, and they appear to be doing fine. I have a lot of new
growth already, and checking in at the nursery whhere I bought them,
the remaining trees there do not have any new growth showing, so
evidently they must be doing ok. My water and soil in this pond is on
the acid side, which they require.

These trees had a cane stick to support them while in a 5 gal
container. I figured I would remove the cane poles once planted, and
use a bracing system with cord and stakes. So I braced these trees
correctly, and then pulled the cane pole out. The trees imediately
flopped over like a wet spahgetti noodle above the bracing . Even
where the trunks are 3/4" in diam they seem to be like rubber. Is this
the nature of a cypress tree? How long or how large do they have to be
until they will self support?
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.