Old 31-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Dan

Default Dying Tree?

Several weeks ago I used Preen to weed my beds before mulching.
Unfortunately I used too much around my 3 year old flowering cherry
tree. Within a few weeks every leaf turned brown and dropped off.
Now it is August 1st in PA and my tree has no leaves. However, it
does have what appear to be small buds. The branches are healthy and
we've had lots of rain. Will this tree survive to next spring without
a single leaf? If not, is there a way to 'trigger' its buds to
produce leafs?

Thanks

Dan
Old 31-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Cereus-validus

Better living with chemistry?

What did the manufacturers of Preen say when you emailed them about your
problem?

om...

Old 31-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Frank Logullo

"Dan" wrote in message
om...
Several weeks ago I used Preen to weed my beds before mulching.
Unfortunately I used too much around my 3 year old flowering cherry
tree. Within a few weeks every leaf turned brown and dropped off.
Now it is August 1st in PA and my tree has no leaves. However, it
does have what appear to be small buds. The branches are healthy and
we've had lots of rain. Will this tree survive to next spring without
a single leaf? If not, is there a way to 'trigger' its buds to
produce leafs?

Did the Preen do it or a fungus? My cherry dropped its leaves as did 2 of
neighbors trees across street.
I've seen this happen before. Figure very wet season conducive to fungus.
It will probably survive, but I intend to cut mine down since I don't like
finicky trees

Frank

Old 02-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Vox Humana

"Dan" wrote in message
om...
Several weeks ago I used Preen to weed my beds before mulching.
Unfortunately I used too much around my 3 year old flowering cherry
tree. Within a few weeks every leaf turned brown and dropped off.
Now it is August 1st in PA and my tree has no leaves. However, it
does have what appear to be small buds. The branches are healthy and
we've had lots of rain. Will this tree survive to next spring without
a single leaf? If not, is there a way to 'trigger' its buds to
produce leafs?

I sort of doubt it was the Preen. How much did you use?

Old 02-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Dan" wrote in message
om...
Several weeks ago I used Preen to weed my beds before mulching.
Unfortunately I used too much around my 3 year old flowering cherry
tree. Within a few weeks every leaf turned brown and dropped off.
Now it is August 1st in PA and my tree has no leaves. However, it
does have what appear to be small buds. The branches are healthy and
we've had lots of rain. Will this tree survive to next spring without
a single leaf? If not, is there a way to 'trigger' its buds to
produce leafs?

Thanks

Dan

You need to look further than the Preen - Preen is a pre-emergent herbicide
with the active ingredient of trifluralin, which disprupts the germination
of seeds ONLY - it has no effect on existing plant material, large or small.
Even broad based nonspecific herbicides like glyphosate will have minimal
impact on an established tree unless sprayed directly onto the foliage or
applied in concentration to the root zone.

Flowering cherries and their botanical cousins are notorious for being
extremely problematic trees with a huge repetoire of insect and disease
susceptibility. In the eastern portion of the country that has experienced
an unnaturally wet spring and summer, I'd put my money on a fungal problem
of sort. If there are viable buds and the weather is conducive, the tree
should attempt to refoliate. But it may be best to have its problem
accurately diagnosed by a qualified arborist. You may be looking at a
problem which has far reaching consequences, but I'd be extremely dubious
that you can make a direct correlation to the use of a very common and
rather benign pre-emergent herbicide.

pam - gardengal

Old 03-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Dan

Thank you everyone for your replies. Pam - thank you for your
perspectives on Preen vs Fungus - that is very encouraging. I will
have an arborist look at in within the week.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Dan

Thank you everyone for your replies. Pam - thank you for your
perspectives on Preen vs Fungus - that is very encouraging. I will
have an arborist look at in within the week.

[IMG] code is On

Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Fig tree dying - help! yso United Kingdom 9 16-01-2004 11:07 AM
Dying Palm Tree Jeremy Lunn Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Please help, my lemon tree is dying! Rachael Reynolds United Kingdom 10 31-12-2002 01:53 PM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM