Old 02-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Natty_Dread

Default Do day lilies have seeds?

I'm growing several varieties of day lily this year, some Asiatics which I
planted as bulbs and a few varities of Hemerocallis which I purchased as
established plants. Two of the Hemerocallis plants, H. Flava and H. Pardon
Me, have some blooms that never opened, and those bloom "pods" (for lack of
a better word) have stayed green but are now hard. I broke one open to
check it out and found what looked like small round black seeds inside. Are
these actually seeds that can be sown? I've never thought of lilies as
coming from anything except bulbs, but I guess the bulbs have to come from
somewhere also! Any ideas what these things might be? Thanks in advance
for any information.

Rhonda
Alexandria, VA
USDA Zone 7

******************
Each of us, a cell of awareness
imperfect and incomplete
Genetic blends with uncertain ends
on a fortune-hunt that's far too fleet

Old 02-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Natty_Dread" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You are confusing daylilies with true lilies. True lilies, like the Asiatics
(Lilium), are bulbs. Daylilies (Hemerocallis) are simply fleshy rooted
perennials. All flowering plants will produce seeds, whether they are rooted
or bulbous, but there is often a significant time lapse in achieving a
flowering sized plant from seed when it is typically propagated by other
means.

Plants MUST flower and those flowers fertilized to produce viable seed.
Since daylilies have such a short bloom life (a single "day") it may be very
easy to miss the blossoms, but for seed to form they most certainly did
occur. You can sow those seeds and, if viable, they will produce a plant in
due course, but you will get much faster results if you just divide the root
crown of the existing plants. True lilies (bulbs) can also be grown from
seed, but it is an extended process from sowing to a flowering plant and
Asiatics will multiply freely once well established.

pam - gardengal

Old 02-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Cereus-validus

Daylilies don't grow from bulbs. They are perennials and are not closely
related to true bulbous Lilies.

Since the individual flowers last only one day, the ones that produced fruit
must have done so when you weren't watching. You should let the remaining
seed pods ripen on their own. They will dry out and split open when they are
mature.

Yes, you can grow them from seed but you should expect the plants grown from
seed to look different from the hybrid parents and not all the offspring may
be worthy of keeping if the flowers aren't up to par.

Old 02-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Wil

[...]

You are describing the seed pods of the daylily and not the bloom buds.
Buds are more elongated and soft. Some types of daylilies make a slightly
pointed seed pod but it is likely to be ribbed like a pumpkin. The Asiatic
are not Hemerocallis they are lilium, true lilies. So I will not mix Asiatic
into this discussion. I grow them but I am no expert on them and I do not
grow them from seed.

The daylily H. flava is a species daylily. Pardon Me is a hybrid. All
hybrid seeds do not bloom true to the parent plant. Those seeds can be any
kind of daylily flower that shows the genetics of the gene pool in the
genetic line of pod and pollen parent for generations. You can plant and
grow daylilies from seed. The pod develops after pollen is placed on the
stigma. The pod will continue to grow until it begins to darken and splits
open. When the pod shows signs it is opening, it is time to harvest the
pod. Let the seeds dry then plant or refrigerate until you plan to start
the seeds.

If you live in a cold climate, you can direct sow the seeds late fall. Most
hybridizers believe the hemerocallis seeds need a cold period to break
dormancy. The winter can be the cold period planted in the ground or your
refrigerator can be the cold period. They should be cold for about 6 weeks.
That period of time is also up for debate. 4-6 weeks is a good period of
time to hold the seeds. If seeds are held in the refrigerator until spring,
you can plant them early spring in the garden, or you can plant them inside
in potting soil and transplant the little plants in the garden.

If you break open a pod and the seeds are soft or white, the seeds are not
ripe and probably will not grow.

Wil

Old 02-08-2004, 07:56 PM
Cereus-validus

Not quite, Wilber.

Hemerocallis flava is a later synonym for the wild species Hemerocallis
lilioasphodelus, a fragrant self-fertile true species and one of the
original ancestors of the modern daylily hybrids.

http://www.hemerocallis-species.com/...cies/lil_e.htm

Hemerocallis 'Pardon Me' is a fragrant repeat-blooming hybrid with deep red
flowers with a greenish yellow throat.

A back-cross with H.lilioasphodelus would probably lack most of the best
characters of the hybrid. Seeds from self-pollination could potentially
produce a wide range of flower colors.

Old 03-08-2004, 02:47 AM
Wil

..
"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
Not quite, Wilber.

Hemerocallis flava is a later synonym for the wild species Hemerocallis
lilioasphodelus, a fragrant self-fertile true species and one of the
original ancestors of the modern daylily hybrids.

http://www.hemerocallis-species.com/...cies/lil_e.htm

Hemerocallis 'Pardon Me' is a fragrant repeat-blooming hybrid with deep

red
flowers with a greenish yellow throat.

A back-cross with H.lilioasphodelus would probably lack most of the best
characters of the hybrid. Seeds from self-pollination could potentially
produce a wide range of flower colors.

Yes, it is H. species. Isn't that what I said? "The daylily H. flava is a
species daylily. Pardon Me is a hybrid. "

Wil, not Wilber

Old 03-08-2004, 03:18 AM
Cereus-validus

Hemerocallis lilioasphodelus is the correct name for the species not
Hemerocallis flava. Hemerocallis flava is not a valid name, you dim Willy.

.

Old 03-08-2004, 01:35 PM
GrampysGurl

Only a stupid feminazi whore would read gardening groups and not even
know how flowering plants reproduce. You dumb ****.

-=-
BoB

I bet you make mommy so proud.