Old 08-08-2004, 11:28 PM
THURSTON ACKERMAN

Default watering tomatoes wit

FamilyNet Newsgate

says...
LB Thoughts on this:
LB 1. In a really hot climate, the water evaporates as fast as it drips out.
LB 2. Tomatoes seem to benefit more from a deep watering that promotes deep
LBroots.
LB This provides mostly surface water and shallow roots.
LB 3. If you're going out to the tomato plants to fill the plastic bottles, w
LB not just water the tomatoes while you're there instead of filling bottles?
LB
LBI've always put large coffee cans around my tomatoes as soon as I plant
LBthem. The cans are buried in the ground a couple of inches. This not
LBonly seems to prevent cutworms but makes watering simple - just fill the
LBcans. Had very little blossom end rot.

LBThis year I tried without the cans. About the same amount of water, at
LBleast I thought so, but I got much more BER. I think the cans
LBconcentrate the water in a small area so it goes much deeper.

I use cut out gallon jugs similarly with equal results for several
years now in suburban Boston,MA. I think it also concentrates the
application of fertilizer to the plants (and limits it to producing
more weeds).

Ciao, Ack.

---
þ SLMR 2.1a þ You are jealous because the voices only talk to me.

FamilyNet Internet Gated Mail
http://www.fmlynet.org

[IMG] code is On

entirely acquire her special wit H. Lipszyc Ponds 0 07-11-2007 06:17 AM
Watering Tomatoes Norman Australia 4 06-12-2004 01:15 PM
watering tomatoes with plastic bottles gregpresley Gardening 7 07-08-2004 04:08 PM
Self-Watering Tomatoes Barbara B United Kingdom 0 03-06-2004 12:08 PM
Drip Watering Tomatoes Fat Freddy Edible Gardening 9 27-05-2003 05:56 AM