Old 01-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Norman

Default Watering Tomatoes

I have heard different opinions as how much to water tomatoes.

Some say that overwatering them is no good for them.

Can anyone advise please.

Many thanks.

Norman

Old 01-12-2004, 05:28 PM
len gardener

g'day norman,

i've always watered them around the root area only, unless you are
watering in the mornings then that gives the foliage a chance to dry
out, but in summer it is better to water in the evenings so as to
minimise any water loss to evaporation. with tom's watering over the
top can cause fungal problems with the foliage and also fruit damage.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Norman

Thanks for your reply Len. Your advice is very welcome and you are never
wrong on gardening tips. Thanks for your post.

Norman

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day norman,

i've always watered them around the root area only, unless you are
watering in the mornings then that gives the foliage a chance to dry
out, but in summer it is better to water in the evenings so as to
minimise any water loss to evaporation. with tom's watering over the
top can cause fungal problems with the foliage and also fruit damage.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the
environment

Old 02-12-2004, 05:14 AM
Norman

Thanks Geodyne for your welcome advice. Its a great newsgroup, this one.

Thanks again.

Norman

"Geodyne" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:11:47 +1100, "Norman"
wrote:

I have heard different opinions as how much to water tomatoes.

Some say that overwatering them is no good for them.

Can anyone advise please.

In addition to Len's advice, another important thing to watch is not
to water tomatoes unevenly - a couple of smaller waterings twice a
week is better than a big weekly or fortnightly soaking.

The reason for this is that tomatoes are prone to splitting their
skins if they get uneven watering.

Also try to minimise splashing from the soil to the leaves when
watering. This reduces the risk of fungal infections.

Geodyne

Old 06-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Dwayne

Another mistake I made was to plant them too close together. As Len said
you have to watch for fungus on tomatoes, and planting them a little farther
apart will allow the wind room to blow around them and keep them drier.
When mine came up they looked like a tomato hedge with fungus. My wife's
uncle plants 6 rows of tomatoes, that are each over 20 meters long. He puts
cages around them to give them support, and to help keep the pests out. He
always produces a bumper crop of tomatoes, and all I can get is about 2
dozen mature ones. Oh Well, thats life.

Dwayne