Old 10-08-2004, 10:15 PM
o1o1o1o1

Default Help identifying flowering vine

Hi, occasional lurker in alt.home.lawn.garden (it's very quiet over there)
with something we need help identifying.

We have this really robustly growing vine with a very interesting flower
that neither one of us can identify- I posted a picture he
http://home.pacbell.net/o1o1o1o1/images/dsc_0002-33.jpg

Apologies about the clarity of the photo, I just don't have a macro lens,
and this is as good as I could get it.

It is about three inches across the tips of the petals. It's clinging to a
rose bush trellis like it owns it. Nature never ceases to amaze me- the
little 'arms' the hug its' companion are quite remarkable.

Noticed the flower opens and closes erratically- and only one bud at a time
(there are several buds on the vine). My wife tends the garden and notices
that if she touches the bud it closes and doesn't reopen for sometime.

Does anyone recognize it? Or perhaps give us clue as to where to find it?

We live in Southern California.

TIA,

--
Michael

Old 10-08-2004, 10:23 PM
how

"o1o1o1o1" wrote in message
Hi, occasional lurker in alt.home.lawn.garden (it's very quiet over there)
with something we need help identifying.

We have this really robustly growing vine with a very interesting flower
that neither one of us can identify- I posted a picture he
http://home.pacbell.net/o1o1o1o1/images/dsc_0002-33.jpg

snip
Does anyone recognize it? Or perhaps give us clue as to where to find it?

Hi,
Passion vine. (Passiflora edulis)
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 10-08-2004, 10:30 PM
o1o1o1o1

"how" wrote in message
"o1o1o1o1" wrote in message
Hi, occasional lurker in alt.home.lawn.garden (it's very quiet over

there)
with something we need help identifying.

We have this really robustly growing vine with a very interesting flower
that neither one of us can identify- I posted a picture he
http://home.pacbell.net/o1o1o1o1/images/dsc_0002-33.jpg

snip
Does anyone recognize it? Or perhaps give us clue as to where to find

it?

Hi,
Passion vine. (Passiflora edulis)
HTH -_- how

Wow, that's an impressively swift response. A quick Google found several
examples.

Thanky!

--
Michael

Old 10-08-2004, 11:32 PM
paghat

In article , "o1o1o1o1"
wrote:

[...]

It is a passionflower of the genus Passiflora.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"