Old 10-11-2008, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default removing old shrubs

Hi

I am wanting to remove several old fuschias and a hydrangea. They are sited
either between a concrete path and a patio area or next to a low brick wall,
in beds about 3 foot wide. I am wanting to do this organically if possible
but obviously don't want to disturb the paths and wall if it can be helped.

Any ideas please?

Thanks, Eleni.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 10, 1:46 pm, "Eleni"
wrote:
Hi

I am wanting to remove several old fuschias and a hydrangea. They are sited
either between a concrete path and a patio area or next to a low brick wall,
in beds about 3 foot wide. I am wanting to do this organically if possible
but obviously don't want to disturb the paths and wall if it can be helped.

Any ideas please?

Thanks, Eleni.

They don't have huge roots Eleni and I have moved both with a minimum
of effort using a sharp spade to cut the roots off under the soil.
Both are very easy to propagate from cuttings if you actually wanted
them growing elsewhere?

Judith
Old 13-11-2008, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:46:53 -0000, "Eleni"
wrote:

Hi

I am wanting to remove several old fuschias and a hydrangea. They are
sited
either between a concrete path and a patio area or next to a low brick
wall,
in beds about 3 foot wide. I am wanting to do this organically if
possible
but obviously don't want to disturb the paths and wall if it can be
helped.

Any ideas please?

Thanks, Eleni.

As the others have said, just dig them out with a sharp spade. But be
aware that both fuchsias and hydrangeas can shoot again from severed
roots, so keep a look-out for suckers and rip them out if they appear.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Thanks for the advice from everyone, reassuring that it doesn't seem too
difficult a task.

Eleni.