Old 16-08-2004, 06:25 AM
Jefffooz

Default Online source for hebes in the U.S.

I have recently discovered hebes (New Zealand flame bush), and I am wondering
if there is an online source for it in the United States.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 16-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Jefffooz" wrote in message
I have recently discovered hebes (New Zealand flame bush), and I am

wondering
if there is an online source for it in the United States.

Thanks

Jeff

You can find some at ForestFarm and a few more at Heronswood, but the
largest selection will be available at west coast retail nurseries.

pam - gardengal

Old 16-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Zemedelec

Online source for hebes in the U.S.

Since Hebe is the goddess of pleasure, I'm dying to know how to get hold of a
few of her clones--I think they would settle in nicely in New Orleans.
zemedelec
Old 16-08-2004, 07:55 PM
IntarsiaCo

Since Hebe is the goddess of pleasure, I'm dying to know how to get hold of a
few of her clones--I think they would settle in nicely in New Orleans

Join NARGS (North American Rock Garden Society). Hebe species are usually
available on the seed list as wild and/or garden collected seed. Plants may be
available from Arrowhead Nursery or Siskiyou Rare Plant Nursery
Old 16-08-2004, 08:04 PM
paghat

In article ,
pamfree (Zemedelec) wrote:

Online source for hebes in the U.S.

Since Hebe is the goddess of pleasure, I'm dying to know how to get hold of a
few of her clones--I think they would settle in nicely in New Orleans.
zemedelec

Hebe is a diminished form of the Great Goddess Hepa or Hepatu, pretty much
the same as Cybele who was also called Baba or Kubaba, & was notably
warlike & raging. To the Greeks she was the adolescent form of Hera. Her
Hebrew name is Hawwah traditionally rendered in English as Eve though Hebe
would be closer.

Among the Hittites & Hurrians (biblical Jebusites), & throughout much of
the Mid and Near East, she was the primary, central divinity, which is why
even the Greeks identified her with Hera. Though her Greek form is
diminished from the Hittite original, she was not a Goddess of Pleasure,
but of youthfulness. She was the source of the ambrosia which controlled
the immortality of the gods. But as Great Goddedss, she was extremely
warlike, baring a sword & standing upright on a lion.

Hepa occurs in the Bible in the form of a violent angel associated with a
hill upon which a Jebusite priest of Hepatu operated a sacred
threshing-floor (of a cult simiilar to that of the Goddess Anath & her
dying, "threshed," & reborn brother Baal Hadad).

The El Amarna tablets indicates a Jebusite king worshipped Hepatu, for his
name was Adbi-hepa, "Servant of the Goddess Hepa." The priest-king's
wealth was predicated upon grain production. One such Jebusite priest-king
was known to David, who bought from the Jebusite the hilltop
threshing-floor on which the future temple of Yahweh would one day be
built [2 Sm 24:24; 1 Chr 21:22-25].

In scripture this priest-king of Hepatu had the Hurrian name Araunah or
Ornan, which is probably only a title meaning "Lord." The destroying angel
who was sent to plague Israel and punish David for vanity was Hepatu, whom
the patriarchs coöpted into Yahweh's angelic hosts. Hebrew scripture calls
this angel "he," for it was a yahwist habit to masculinize the Goddess
[21:14-15]. It was Hepatu's servant, King Araunah the Jebusite, who
stopped the wrathful endeavors of this angel at the site of a
threshing-floor [2 Sm 24:16], indicating that Hepatu's destruction was a
symbol for the reaping of grain. Ancient fertility figurines have been
recovered in Israel depicting a Goddess wearing reaped ears of grain upon
her head, this very Goddess of the Threshing-floor. The Chronicler
evidently identifies Hepatu's fertility daemon Teshup with Satan [1 Chr
21:1].

After the Jebusite king stopped Hepatu's threshing, the destroying angel
stood between Earth and Heaven with sword still drawn, but now held
outward, flat above Jerusalem as a protective covering [21:16]. She next
commanded that an altar to the Lord be built at the site of the Jebusite's
threshing-floor [21:18-21], for Yahweh like Zeus & Baal was initially a
sacrificial fertility daemon, he was reaped grain. And like this biblical
angel demanding a sacred threshing altar for Yahweh (where the Temple
would a generation later be built), so too Anath the Thresher in the Poem
of Baal saw to the building of a palace for Baal, who had formerly be
worshipped only in open groves.

When the altar was built, Hepatu put away her sword into its sheath
[21:27]. Solomon was later to build the Jerusalem Temple upon the very
site of Hepatu's threshing-floor. A sacred threshing-floor was also
established in Samaria when the kingdom was divided, and it was here the
kings of Judah (Ahab) and Israel (Jehoshaphat) brought their thrones to
set them in the midst of the threshing-floor [1 Ki 22:10; 2 Chr 18:9] to
receive prophesies of war from Zedekiah who placed upon his head a pair of
horns fashioned from iron [1 Ki 22:11; 2 Chr 18:10]. This hardly seems a
yahwist ritual, but was a holdover from the worship of Hepatu and the
threshed war-god Teshup.

Cooler stuff than Hebe being merely a goddess of pleasure.

-paghat the kabbalistic ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com

Old 17-08-2004, 03:13 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from pamfree (Zemedelec) contains these words:

Online source for hebes in the U.S.

Since Hebe is the goddess of pleasure, I'm dying to know how to get
hold of a
few of her clones--I think they would settle in nicely in New Orleans.

Now there's an(other) addictive plant. Hebes thrive in mild coastal
areas, the (mostly) evergreen leaves are tough, wind and salt-proof and
the flowering period is long. Some I grow mainly as a cushion of
foliage, like "Red Edge" (glaucous blue-green leaves with a fine red
edge) and Pink Elephant, cream green and pink leaves. Others have dark
purple leaves (Mrs Winder, Alicia Amherst), others a rich shining dark
green. Some I grow for their handsome four or five inch flower spikes in
brilliant shades of pink, magenta, purple and blue. Some are much
daintier, such as Nicola's Blush, inch long pink and white flower heads
so dense they hide the foliage. The roundy moundy "cloud" shapes of hebe
bushes look good set against spiky foliage plants such as New Zealand
Flax (phormium) or fine grasses.

They grow so easily and fast from cuttings, that's a failsafe way to
multiply favourites. Lots of people here grow them as boundary hedges
(shearing just makes them bushier and more floriferous the next year).
Plant stalls at fetes and jumble sales invariably include a selection of
potted hebe cuttings, usually nameless and too small to flower, and I
can never resist taking them home in case it's some lovely form I
haven't got.

Janet (Isle of Arran, Scotland).

Janet, I too, am particulalry fond of hebes. They grow very well here in the
PNW, but I think are much less common in other parts of the US - I've not
even seen too many different ones offered in California, which seems to have
a preponderance of other plants originating from NZ.

'Nicola's Blush' is my current fave and I'm not even a fan of pink flowers!
It is just such a strong performer with such a long lasting bloom period. I
grow all of the others you mention as well as a number of the cupressoides
and the variegated cultivars of speciosa. Even with last year's awful
winter - one of the worst we've had in some time - my 'Amy' bloomed right
through the snow and cold in January. Great container plants, too.

pam - gardengal

Old 17-08-2004, 03:33 AM
paghat

In article SQdUc.22491$mD.17670@attbi_s02, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

Janet, I too, am particulalry fond of hebes. They grow very well here in the
PNW, but I think are much less common in other parts of the US - I've not
even seen too many different ones offered in California, which seems to have
a preponderance of other plants originating from NZ.

'Nicola's Blush' is my current fave and I'm not even a fan of pink flowers!
It is just such a strong performer with such a long lasting bloom period. I
grow all of the others you mention as well as a number of the cupressoides
and the variegated cultivars of speciosa. Even with last year's awful
winter - one of the worst we've had in some time - my 'Amy' bloomed right
through the snow and cold in January. Great container plants, too.

pam - gardengal

This year I planted a variegated H. speciosa which has loved the nasty hot
summer with only moderate watering. The seller warned it might not survive
the winter, & when I looked it up on line, some mixed advice, but many
saying it doesn't like even zone 8 winters; & on one of Cisco's local
shows, he says his dies every winter but he always plants another for each
year (which I wouldn't like to do). I'm really counting on this not being
all that tender, & that it will not be bothered by winter in an enclosed
unwindy sunny spot, in a raised bed that drains utterly, as I want it in
the garden for years to come.

Of my few hebes, the oddest is Hebe ochracea, or whipcord hebe, which
looks rather like a dwarf cypress. It never bloomed until this year --
then all it had were teency white flowers of little consequence. Even so,
as an imitation of a needled evergreen it's just cool.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 17-08-2004, 02:23 PM
Pam - gardengal

news
wrote:

[...]

Keep your fingers crossed! The variegated speciosas are NOT reliably hardy
here, although the University Village Mall has a number in container
plantings that have lived through a couple of our winters. And I managed to
hang on to mine this past winter, although it started the season looking
less than wonderful. It was pretty leggy with foliage clustered only at the
ends of the branches. I cut it back hard and it responded with a lot of new
growth and is now looking quite full and lush. As with a number of other
plants from NZ, I believe it is our wet winters that does them in rather
than the cold - if you can provide really good drainage (and some reflected
heat wont hurt), its chances of winter survival will be much better.

I also grow the ochracea 'James Sterling', which can get to be a pretty good
sized plant in time. It is truly a conversation piece. Visitors to my garden
always want to know what that odd looking gold juniper is and then when it
flowers they are really confused! 'Boughton Dome' is another of similar
appearance - looks very much like a form of dwarf Chamaecyparis.

FYI, my hebe mentor provided this little tip: the broader and larger the
leaves, the more tender the hebe tends to be. That would indicate that any
of the speciosas (including 'Varieagata', Tricolor' and the dark-leaved
clones like 'Amy' and 'Alicia Amherst') may need additional protection in
our cliamte.

pam - gardengal

[IMG] code is On

How to prune hebes? Dwight Gardening 2 13-02-2012 04:54 AM
Hebes Pete[_9_] United Kingdom 2 17-05-2010 06:04 PM
Sad looking hebes Kezkitty Gardening 7 06-04-2010 02:41 AM
Hebes in shade Cliff Australia 4 06-04-2004 09:30 PM
hebes gh United Kingdom 2 27-07-2003 08:25 PM