Old 27-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Registered User

Default Sad looking hebes

Hi,

Please bear with me, i'm a very inexperienced gardener!

I have several different hebes in my garden, I'm unsure what varieties they are unfortunately, all I know is that some have varigated leaves and others don't! At the moment they are all looking rather sad and almost dead! The leaves are dead and falling off, but there does seem to be some new growth appearing from the very bottom of the shrubs. Is it normal for hebes to appear so forlorn this time of year, or is it due to the harsh winter we had? I'm wondering if the majority of the plant is dead from frost damage? Can anyone advise me on how to get my hebes looking healthier for the summer? Should I cut them right back or will they pick up on their own? I've read it is almost impossible to kill a hebe, have I achieved the impossible?!

Thanks in advance,
Kez
Old 28-03-2010, 02:42 AM
Registered User

Smile

Kezkitty;881523]Hi,

[...]

kez what overall area are u located in? u did mention winter so sounds like u are just coming out of winter in your area as we are starting to here in southwestern ontario.
usually herbs dont look to great after winter. hopefully we can give u some
more info after we find out your location.
cyaaaaaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 28-03-2010, 12:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Kezkitty;881523]Hi,

Please bear with me, i'm a very inexperienced gardener!

I have several different hebes in my garden, I'm unsure what varieties
they are unfortunately, all I know is that some have varigated leaves
and others don't! At the moment they are all looking rather sad and
almost dead! The leaves are dead and falling off, but there does seem to
be some new growth appearing from the very bottom of the shrubs. Is it
normal for hebes to appear so forlorn this time of year, or is it due to
the harsh winter we had? I'm wondering if the majority of the plant is
dead from frost damage? Can anyone advise me on how to get my hebes
looking healthier for the summer? Should I cut them right back or will
they pick up on their own? I've read it is almost impossible to kill a
hebe, have I achieved the impossible?!

Hebes? Do you mean wandering jews?
Old 28-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockiescat View Post
Kezkitty;881523]Hi,

[...]

Hi Sockiescat,

Thanks for your reply. I live in England, we're in early spring now and starting to enjoy the daffodils after a bitterly cold winter

Kez
Old 28-03-2010, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

Kezkitty;881523]Hi,

Please bear with me, i'm a very inexperienced gardener!

I have several different hebes in my garden, I'm unsure what varieties
they are unfortunately, all I know is that some have varigated leaves
and others don't! At the moment they are all looking rather sad and
almost dead! The leaves are dead and falling off, but there does seem to
be some new growth appearing from the very bottom of the shrubs. Is it
normal for hebes to appear so forlorn this time of year, or is it due to
the harsh winter we had? I'm wondering if the majority of the plant is
dead from frost damage? Can anyone advise me on how to get my hebes
looking healthier for the summer? Should I cut them right back or will
they pick up on their own? I've read it is almost impossible to kill a
hebe, have I achieved the impossible?!

Hebes? Do you mean wandering jews?

To help everyone understand brooklyn1 (a.k.a. Sheldon), let's return to
yesteryear.

From: Sheldon
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: I would like some feedback..
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:51:22 -0700 (PDT)

Christian wrote:
I own a business "Professional Pond Maintenance and Fish Care".

That's your first untruth... you *operate* a business.... you don't
own a business until your IRS return doesn't show you're operating at
a loss.

I'm not here to promote my business.

That's your second untruth.

I'm wanting to get any and all feedback, positive or negative,
on a website I designed recently to go with it. I advertise locally
and direct folks to my site for more information.

Here is the link:http://allyoudoisfeedthefish.net/index.html

What do you think of the basic design?
Can you read it easily?
Ads or no ads?

I'm thinking people here are close to my target audience, being that
garden lovers usually like ponds even if they don't personally have
one.

Thank You,
Christian

Your parents must have had high hopes for you to succeed in the
arts... you're not going to do well in business unless you change your
name.

-----

Sheldon (aka brooklyn1) has never explained what he meant by that last
line.

Old 29-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1 View Post
Kezkitty;881523]Hi,

Please bear with me, i'm a very inexperienced gardener!

I have several different hebes in my garden, I'm unsure what varieties
they are unfortunately, all I know is that some have varigated leaves
and others don't! At the moment they are all looking rather sad and
almost dead! The leaves are dead and falling off, but there does seem to
be some new growth appearing from the very bottom of the shrubs. Is it
normal for hebes to appear so forlorn this time of year, or is it due to
the harsh winter we had? I'm wondering if the majority of the plant is
dead from frost damage? Can anyone advise me on how to get my hebes
looking healthier for the summer? Should I cut them right back or will
they pick up on their own? I've read it is almost impossible to kill a
hebe, have I achieved the impossible?!

Hebes? Do you mean wandering jews?
No I don't mean wandering jews, they are definately hebes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebe_(genus)
Old 29-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Registered User

Smile

Kezkitty;881734]No I don't mean wandering jews, they are definately hebes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebe_(genus)

kez
hope these two links might be of some use to u for your hebes.
http://www.hebesoc.org/hebes_atoz/hebes_atoz.htm
http://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/pruning_hebes.htm
good luck with them . cyaaaaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

--
Kezkitty

Hi, fellow Hebe grower. You can find a lot of wisdom about this
beautiful
plant by using a search engine with key words "Hebe plant". Many Web
sites.
Since I am in a very different climate, I won't venture a "diagnosis",
but I do encourage
you to visit some of the Hebe Web sites, where you are sure to find
the answer to your question.

[IMG] code is On

How to prune hebes? Dwight Gardening 2 13-02-2012 04:54 AM
Hebes Pete[_9_] United Kingdom 2 17-05-2010 06:04 PM
Online source for hebes in the U.S. Jefffooz Gardening 7 17-08-2004 02:23 PM
Hebes in shade Cliff Australia 4 06-04-2004 09:30 PM
hebes gh United Kingdom 2 27-07-2003 08:25 PM