Old 17-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Roy

Default Small greenhouse or hot frame idea

I have a large glass reptile cage that I acquired. Since I do not fool
with reptiles I had thought about using it as a sort of mini green
house or hot frame to start seedlings etc in ..........Its approx 48"
x 18" x 20 " high, has slightly tinted glass on three sides, with a
plexiglass hinged top which seals relatively snug. In the two sides
and back are adjustable vents.

How do you think this would work for a mini green house?

Would the clear glass side be better suited for exposure to the sun
or shuld I orientate it so the sun goes through the tinted portion.
The tint is not dark, just a light shade of grey.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 17-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Stephen M. Henning

(Roy) wrote:

Its approx 48"
x 18" x 20 " high, has slightly tinted glass on three sides, with a
plexiglass hinged top which seals relatively snug. In the two sides
and back are adjustable vents.

How do you think this would work for a mini green house?

The most important element in a greenhouse is ventilation. With no
ventilation, a greenhouse in the sun is a death sentence to anything
inside. You won't believe how hot it can get. They have automatic lids
for cold frames that lift when it starts getting warm inside. You
either need one of these or someone who will keep a watch on it. During
the growing season there is not problem since the lid can be left open.
But during the winter it is a constant battle to keep the plants from
freezing and from cooking. Also, a greenhouse needs a source of heat in
the winter so the plants don't freeze on cloudy days and at night.

The ideal use for this would be propagation of woody plants. Put the
cage in the shade with a good open view to the north so it gets lots of
light but NO direct sunlight. Then you can take cuttings of things like
rhododendrons in the fall and root them in here. I knew a woman who did
this with mason jars. It would be much easier in your snake cage. For
more information on this, look up "Nearing frame". The essential
elements are no direct sun, northern exposure and a good moisture seal.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

[IMG] code is On

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
OT; Aluminum frame greenhouse & frost Dusty Orchids 11 22-02-2007 12:00 AM
do not sow furiously while you're attacking throughout a hot frame [email protected] United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 03:28 PM
ingenious idea, or terribly stupid idea? Bob Texas 6 10-03-2005 12:41 AM