Old 21-08-2004, 03:37 AM
Doug Kanter

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

I'll be moving into a new house this week, and a couple of spots present

challenge. The house has eaves extending outward almost 3 feet - great

for
summer. But, it's a desert under those eaves. There's nothing growing

there
now, and it's not due to anything the previous owner sprayed - it's just
bone dry. I intend to create a very deep perennial border - perhaps 6'

deep.
My initial idea is simply to cover the dry areas with some sort of flat
stones and not even try to get anything to grow. This would give me easy
access to the back of the border (and the house itself) for maintenance.
But, I'm still curious if anyone's gotten anything interesting to grow

in
such spots, WITHOUT having to water constantly. I'm in upstate NY, zone

5-6
(depending on exposure). Could be any of the basic "generic shrubs" as a
backdrop for the border, or perhaps something more interesting.
-Doug

have a similar sitation, compounded by those thingies that go over
windows to shade them. It is a small brick home on a concrete slab and
most people in this area put soakers around the foundations to keep
the soil reasonably moist else the brick can crack from the swelling
and shrinking of the soil. SOOoooo.... with that problem solved, the
plants get the water they want, too! People who have basements usually
do the same thing to protect the basement walls.
good luck...Leo

Care to elaborate on the "protect the basement walls" thought?

[IMG] code is On

Huge Yew Tree or Huge Yew Bush? 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 0 27-05-2009 11:28 AM
Fallen eaves Pam Moore United Kingdom 11 20-11-2004 02:23 PM
dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
Flowers for Shady Areas Stacia Gardening 12 21-04-2003 05:08 AM
Prescribed Burn stopped Colorado's Hayman Fire - not Thinned Areas! Aozotorp alt.forestry 0 01-12-2002 02:48 PM