Old 19-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Dry Areas Under HUGE Eaves

I'll be moving into a new house this week, and a couple of spots present a
challenge. The house has eaves extending outward almost 3 feet - great for
summer. But, it's a desert under those eaves. There's nothing growing there
now, and it's not due to anything the previous owner sprayed - it's just
bone dry. I intend to create a very deep perennial border - perhaps 6' deep.
My initial idea is simply to cover the dry areas with some sort of flat
stones and not even try to get anything to grow. This would give me easy
access to the back of the border (and the house itself) for maintenance.
But, I'm still curious if anyone's gotten anything interesting to grow in
such spots, WITHOUT having to water constantly. I'm in upstate NY, zone 5-6
(depending on exposure). Could be any of the basic "generic shrubs" as a
backdrop for the border, or perhaps something more interesting.
-Doug

Old 19-08-2004, 03:56 PM
paghat

In article , "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

[...]

There are a number of small shrubs that once established will have
extended their roots far enough to find water, though they would be
sensitive to drought for the first year. Witchhazel, weigala, abelia,
escalonia, beautyberry, dwarf lilac cultivars, oregon grape, rugosa roses,
manzanita, cotoneaster, artemesia, gaura, budleia, Potentilla fruticosa,
silver buffaloberry, juniper, Indian hawthorn, rabbitbrush, Siberian pea
bush, spireas, & many others will get by with very little watering after
the first year. If it's sunny enough you could pack the area with
sun-roses & rock-roses & have the floweriest drought-garden imaginable.
But for all these, check to see if they can stand zone 5/6 winters, some
of them might not, others like abelia might do well enough but be die-back
perennials in your zone instead of big bushes like in mine.

But rear access to a garden can be very useful too, or an area of
container gardening with automatic drip to them. I have a spot similar to
what you describe which until the past two weeks was jam-packed with
drought hardy shrubs, but I've been moving them bit by bit so I can build
there a chicken pen with laying boxes, for miniature hens that I'll let
wander in the whole garden from time to time & pen in when I'm not
around.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 19-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Doug Kanter

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

[...]

Hmmm....rugosa. Forgot about that. They not only survived the worst abuse
imaginable at my last house (drought, rock salt, falling ice chunks), but
they actually thrived.

Old 19-08-2004, 09:48 PM
Doug Kanter

"escapee" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:38:29 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

opined:

Hmmm....rugosa. Forgot about that. They not only survived the worst abuse
imaginable at my last house (drought, rock salt, falling ice chunks), but
they actually thrived.

Yes, but as a foundation plant, wouldn't you want something evergreen?

Maybe. But, this will require much professional planning which, in my
garden, means placing the big lounge chair in the appropriate spot and
having the right tools nearby: Beer, and several hundred pounds of books &
catalogs. :-)

Old 19-08-2004, 10:10 PM
escapee

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:31:32 -0700, (paghat)
opined:

Well grown rugosas (wildest forms with very upright canes) look extremely
interesting leafless in winter, & if not harvested they keep the last of
their bright orange hips all through autumn & part of winter, very
decorative for the hips. They aren't pruned until just before spring, so
their winter presence is pretty interesting. Nothing says they can't be
planted amidst something evergreen too though. I've planted mine with
evergreen rockroses (but those wouldn't likely do well in zone 5) & an
evergreen "tree ivy" & an evergreen portuguese laurel cherry, all stuff
that hardly ever needs watering. Evergreen holly-like Mahonia (Oregon
Grape) might also mix in well, & would do really well in zone 5 mixed in
with rugosa roses.

-paggers

I have a rosa rugosa out back. It's downright deadly. I have to move it this
winter. Maybe I will try moving it under the eave of my home in a dry spot. I
agree with the winter interest, but in a foundation planting it may not...well,
scratch that. I suppose I'm seeing a mental image of something formal, and I
don't know why I have that image. Nothing in my garden is formal.

Since you're making nice, I remember you being interested in the perennial
morning glory. I will have some cuttings. Would you like one when I get them
organized?

Victoria

Old 19-08-2004, 10:12 PM
escapee

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:48:05 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
opined:

"escapee" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:38:29 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

opined:

Hmmm....rugosa. Forgot about that. They not only survived the worst abuse
imaginable at my last house (drought, rock salt, falling ice chunks), but
they actually thrived.

Yes, but as a foundation plant, wouldn't you want something evergreen?

Maybe. But, this will require much professional planning which, in my
garden, means placing the big lounge chair in the appropriate spot and
having the right tools nearby: Beer, and several hundred pounds of books &
catalogs. :-)

That's a combination of conditions for a good time! How do yaupon hollies do up
there? I know they are natives here in TX, but outside of that I don't recall
seeing them up north for the first 37 years of my life.

Old 19-08-2004, 10:35 PM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Thanks but I did try them with lousy results (vines grew well, but
seemingly the season here is too short for them to bloom worth a damn;
then this past harsher-than-average winter seems to have killed what
little was there) so I've given up on them for now.

Right, rugosa roses should NOT be planted near where one would be walking.
They compare to Devil's Walking Sticks for thorniness.

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 19-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Joe Sandlin

Doug Kanter wrote:

I'll be moving into a new house this week, and a couple of spots present
a challenge. The house has eaves extending outward almost 3 feet - great
for summer. But, it's a desert under those eaves.

Another thought. Installing rain barrels and using soaker hoses would
increase your options a lot. My local Pepsi bottler gave me four 55
gallon HDPE (Food Safe) barrels for no charge and modifying them was easy.

Joe

Old 20-08-2004, 09:59 AM
gregpresley

I have a japanese yew in similar conditions - it survives - although I
wouldn't describe it as vigorous. It gets NO water, and sits in a tiny
island of soil surrounded by asphalt, under the eaves, just to the side of
my attached garage doors. (I didn't plant it there - it's really against my
nature to torture plants). I suspect that either it transpires very slowly,
or has a root system that extends into the irrigated lawn 5-6 feet away, or
both. I'm pretty sure that you could plant one under your eaves, but you
would need to water it for one year to get it established.

Old 20-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Doug Kanter

"escapee" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:48:05 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

opined:

.. .

&
catalogs. :-)

That's a combination of conditions for a good time! How do yaupon hollies

do up
there? I know they are natives here in TX, but outside of that I don't

recall
seeing them up north for the first 37 years of my life.

Never heard of yaupon hollies. Other varieties do well, though, even when
battered by snow & ice, so a pair of them will probably end up in my yard.
My first job, though, is to dig an enormous vegetable garden and bring home
80 tons of manure from the mounted police stables.

Old 20-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Doug Kanter

"Joe Sandlin" wrote in message
newsan.2004.08.19.22.16.21.339566@REMOVETHIScfw. com...
Doug Kanter wrote:

I'll be moving into a new house this week, and a couple of spots present
a challenge. The house has eaves extending outward almost 3 feet - great
for summer. But, it's a desert under those eaves.

Another thought. Installing rain barrels and using soaker hoses would
increase your options a lot. My local Pepsi bottler gave me four 55
gallon HDPE (Food Safe) barrels for no charge and modifying them was easy.

Joe

That's an interesting idea. What color were the barrels?

Old 20-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Joe Sandlin

Doug Kanter wrote:

Another thought. Installing rain barrels and using soaker hoses would
increase your options a lot. My local Pepsi bottler gave me four 55
gallon HDPE (Food Safe) barrels for no charge and modifying them was
easy.

That's an interesting idea. What color were the barrels?

They were white. I used Krylon "Fusion" spray paint to make them match
the color of my brick foundation. It bonds to HDPE. Rustoleum also makes
a "Plastic Primer" that you are supposed to be able to use any of their
paints on top of.

Old 20-08-2004, 01:33 PM
GrampysGurl

They aren't a foundation plant but my hollyhocks do fine under the eaves....
they don't get quite as tall if I don't water them from time to time, about
once a week at best but they grow and bloom. I have a couple mock oranges under
my eaves that are huge, they have have been put in by the original owner 100
years ago. I have a Prairie Style home also known as a Four Square, gotta love
Mission/Craftsman Style with an art deco twist )
Colleen
Zone 5 CT

[IMG] code is On

Huge Yew Tree or Huge Yew Bush? 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 0 27-05-2009 11:28 AM
Fallen eaves Pam Moore United Kingdom 11 20-11-2004 02:23 PM
dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
Flowers for Shady Areas Stacia Gardening 12 21-04-2003 05:08 AM
Prescribed Burn stopped Colorado's Hayman Fire - not Thinned Areas! Aozotorp alt.forestry 0 01-12-2002 02:48 PM