Old 21-08-2004, 07:39 AM
Weeble

Default Day Lily Question

Does anyone have any experience growing day lilies in plastic pots? I have
two large plastic whiskey barrels that I would like to plant day lilies in
and put in the front yard. I'm wondering what would be the best soil to put
in the pots. They would be in an area where I've grown day lilies before
but cannot now plant directly in the ground.

Shell

Old 21-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Paul Below

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 06:39:55 GMT, "Weeble" wrote:

Does anyone have any experience growing day lilies in plastic pots? I have
two large plastic whiskey barrels that I would like to plant day lilies in
and put in the front yard. I'm wondering what would be the best soil to put
in the pots. They would be in an area where I've grown day lilies before
but cannot now plant directly in the ground.

Compost, or potting soil, or a mix.

Day lillies aren't too fussy.

Every few years you'll have to divide them -- I wait until the whole
surface of the soil in the pot is covered with stalks -- when that
happens I make a mental note to divide them after the growing season.

Old 21-08-2004, 05:12 PM
starlord

I have 3 plants in a 5gal plastic bucket, I drilled holes in the bottom and
filled it with potting soil and steer manure combo, they've lived in it for
2 years now and this year put out a mess of bloom stalks. I live in the High
Mojave Desert too.

--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062dyssey three

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Blast Off Cybershop
http://www.cafeshops.com/starlords
In the Garden Gift Shop
http://www.cafeshops.com/InGarden
Astronomy-net shop
http://www.cafeshops.com/Astronomy_net
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"Weeble" wrote in message
m...
Does anyone have any experience growing day lilies in plastic pots? I

have
two large plastic whiskey barrels that I would like to plant day lilies in
and put in the front yard. I'm wondering what would be the best soil to

put
in the pots. They would be in an area where I've grown day lilies before
but cannot now plant directly in the ground.

Shell

---

Old 21-08-2004, 06:23 PM
David Ross

Weeble wrote:

Does anyone have any experience growing day lilies in plastic pots? I have
two large plastic whiskey barrels that I would like to plant day lilies in
and put in the front yard. I'm wondering what would be the best soil to put
in the pots. They would be in an area where I've grown day lilies before
but cannot now plant directly in the ground.

Shell

For a do-it-yourself potting mix, see my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 21-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Weeble

Cool. I bought these plastic whiskey barrels that look like the rea thing
(only without the splinters and dirt) Should look really nice with the
seedlings I just ordered.

Shell

"starlord" wrote in message
I have 3 plants in a 5gal plastic bucket, I drilled holes in the bottom

and
filled it with potting soil and steer manure combo, they've lived in it

for
2 years now and this year put out a mess of bloom stalks. I live in the

High
Mojave Desert too.

--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062dyssey three

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Blast Off Cybershop
http://www.cafeshops.com/starlords
In the Garden Gift Shop
http://www.cafeshops.com/InGarden
Astronomy-net shop
http://www.cafeshops.com/Astronomy_net
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

m...

Old 21-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Weeble

Thanks for the information. I will need to see about trying your potting
mix, it sounds like it would be just about perfect here

Shell

Old 22-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Cereus-validus

How about potting them up with potting soil?!!!!!

Sure you can grow them in pots.

That's exactly what many commercial dealers do!!!!

m...