Old 21-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Gunnar Savage

Default Identification help, please

I have this shrub in my yard and it has been giving me fits trying to figure
out what it is. ANY help would be appreciated. I have put some pics up of it
at:
http://www.lzk-industries.com/pappys...ification.html
For those of you who don't want to go the website, here are the traits for
it:
Shape: Vase shaped 12' tall and six foot across

Leaf: Simple, Alternate, Palmate lobed, 2 1/2" by 1 1/2", rounded cunate
base, dark green on top, light green on bottom, glabourous with very small,
very fines hairs on stem stopping at base, LEAF SCAR is shield to heart
shape.

Bud: Light brown, doubled but once in a while single, rounded

Zone: Growing in Zone 6a

Flowers: Double flowers, rarely 1 flower, lavender in color

Stem: Round, brown, numerous lenticels whiteish-brown.

Once again thank you for your help.

--Scott

P.S. Before someone says I am simply trying to shill my site, Pappy's
Greenhouse is a figment of my imagination and will be for about another five
years. LZK Industries (my online retail business) is officially closed and
there is nothing, no where on my site to buy. I could care less if anyone
looks at the rest of my site. I am just trying to find out what this shrub
is. Thanks again.
--

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely

"WOW-What a Ride!"

Old 21-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Pam - gardengal

Looks to be Hibiscus syriacus 'Collie Mullens', aka Rose of Sharon,
double-flowered form.

pam - gardengal

news

Old 21-08-2004, 09:20 PM
Gunnar Savage

That's what I thought at first too, and all of the research I have done
points to the Collie Mullins, but what about the flower color? All of the
pics I have seen and all of the articles says the flowers should be pink.
These in my yard are definitely purple. Could this be a different cultivar?
Until I get a better answer, I'm going with yours. I guess it really isn't
important in the grander scheme of the world, but I'm kind of anal about
this kind of thing. Thanks.

Old 22-08-2004, 01:45 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Gunnar Savage" wrote in message
m...
That's what I thought at first too, and all of the research I have done
points to the Collie Mullins, but what about the flower color? All of the
pics I have seen and all of the articles says the flowers should be pink.
These in my yard are definitely purple. Could this be a different

cultivar?
Until I get a better answer, I'm going with yours. I guess it really isn't
important in the grander scheme of the world, but I'm kind of anal about
this kind of thing. Thanks.

I think the color is rather variable with these things, as it can be with
many plants. IME, the flowers open a pepto-bismol pink and deepen as they
age to a purple or rather, more of a magenta color. Dirr describes it as a
"purple-lavender". Color, as is scent, is open to a lot of interpretation.

pam - gardengal

Old 22-08-2004, 03:39 AM
Pen

Magnificent lavatera!

Old 22-08-2004, 08:44 AM
gregpresley

The hibiscus family in general is subject to color change over the course of
the day. The confederate rose, hibiscus mutabilis, actually changes from
white to dark pink in the course of a few hours.

Old 22-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Perry Templeton

Rose of Sharon is very common here in South Louisiana. I've seen multitudes
of colors. Blue, pink, white and lavender (purple)
Perry

Old 22-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Gunnar Savage

That settles it for me then. Thank you sincerely for your help.
--Scott

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"Gunnar Savage" wrote in

message
m...
[...]

news I have this shrub in my yard and it has been giving me fits trying