Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-08-2004, 08:06 AM
gregpresley

Default cosmos stubbornly refuses to bloom

I haven't planted cosmos in several years. I planted the dwarf variety 3
years ago, and have just enjoyed the chance reseeding (the dwarf variety
seems to reseed a bit less prolifically than the taller varieties). This
year, I have many plants of various sizes, from 6 inches to about 2 feet
tall, all of which have been blooming for the past month or more - however,
I have one plant which has a huge healthy central stalk, numerous strong
healthy branches, and not only no flowers, but not a single flower bud. It
is about 2 1/2 feet tall by now, less than a foot from other cosmos which
have been blooming for weeks. I would say that the central stalk on the
non-blooming cosmos is nearing 2 inches in diameter, and is practically
becoming woody. Since we sometimes have a killing frost in mid-September,
I'm starting to think that I won't see a single flower off that plant. Has
anyone else had that kind of a cosmos experience?

[IMG] code is On

Phal refuses to not-spike J Fortuna Orchids 7 24-01-2006 01:06 AM
Perhaps Romanian Cosmos? John McGaw Gardening 1 29-01-2004 01:12 PM
Cosmos D.H.Grant Gardening 1 24-09-2003 04:32 AM
is cosmos easy to grow from seed? jayjay United Kingdom 3 09-08-2003 09:22 PM
Pinch Cosmos Seedlings for Bushiness? Fleemo Gardening 1 29-04-2003 09:56 AM