Old 29-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Tess

Default cascading vine suggestions?

Hello--I'm in Zone 8 and I'm looking for ideas on what to plant atop my tall
retaining wall that will give it a little color and some "softness",
cascading downward. While we get a lot of rain, the summers are droughty,
so it should not be too delicate. Any suggestions?

Old 30-08-2004, 03:35 AM
Sunflower

"Tess" wrote in message
Hello--I'm in Zone 8 and I'm looking for ideas on what to plant atop my

tall
retaining wall that will give it a little color and some "softness",
cascading downward. While we get a lot of rain, the summers are droughty,
so it should not be too delicate. Any suggestions?

A groundcover rose like Seafoam or climber like Red Cascade would be
bulletproof and look lovely cascading down over a retaining wall. Be sure
to mulch them well to keep weeds to a minimum and to retain moisture and
keep them well watered the first year and by year 3, all you will need to do
is thin them out a bit in spring and water only if it's very dry.

Old 30-08-2004, 06:08 AM
paghat

In article HorYc.203973$8_6.101424@attbi_s04, "Tess" wrote:

Hello--I'm in Zone 8 and I'm looking for ideas on what to plant atop my tall
retaining wall that will give it a little color and some "softness",
cascading downward. While we get a lot of rain, the summers are droughty,
so it should not be too delicate. Any suggestions?

It can be a little hard to track down, but if you can find the New Zealand
Appleberry Vine, they are delightful evergreen vines with teency leaves,
yellow tube-flowers late in spring, & largish purple, white, or violet
berries the texture of eggplants. They will cascade down a wall to four or
five feet, or climb up a wall three or four feet, but won't cover a wide
segment of wall, as they're relatively small vines. Article he
http://www.paghat.com/appleberry.html

A more full-coverage dangling vine would be Vinca major "Maculata," not
quite as aggressive as regular wild Vinca major, variegated gold & green
leaves half the size of the regular form, evergreen, rapid growth & will
dangle many feet down a ledge & spread as wide as you permit them, large
dark blue-purple flowers. Article he
http://www.paghat.com/vincamaculata.html

Some ornamental strawberries can also be trained to dangle down a ledge.
Their fruit is quite edible & pleasant but not large producers, but the
trade-off is bright red flowers that persist spring to early winter. I
have two hybrid varieties, "Pink Panda" is a bit more clumping, but
"Lipstick" has long dangling stems. Evergreen to semi evergreen.
http://www.paghat.com/strawberrylipstick.html

Another big-coverage vine is Golden Hops, though it is deciduous so
nothing for winter looks, its golden leaves are really something. I have
it planted two places, one where it is a climber going straight up a wall,
the other on a top of a stone ledge that it has dangled down & hidden the
wall. Article:
http://www.paghat.com/hop.html

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 30-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Tess" wrote in message
Hello--I'm in Zone 8 and I'm looking for ideas on what to plant atop my

tall
retaining wall that will give it a little color and some "softness",
cascading downward. While we get a lot of rain, the summers are droughty,
so it should not be too delicate. Any suggestions?

Hmmmm.......zone 8 with ample rain and droughty summers - sounds like the
PNW!! Prostrate rosemary would be an excellent choice for this situation,
assuming it gets plenty of sunlight. Most vines will have a tendency to want
to grow upwards, but rosemary cascades beautifully. Evergreen, fragrant and
sporadically convered with tiny blue flowers. And you can use it for cooking
just the same as upright rosemary. Look for cultivars like 'Irene' or
'Huntington Carpet' - each will cascade a good 3 feet or more.

Another, less extensive cascader would be the Helianthemums or sunroses.
Also evergreen with foliage color ranging from deep green to a silvery gray
and covered in late spring and early summer with a profusion of tissue
paper-like flowers in your choice of colors - reds, red-orange, peach, pink,
yellow or white.

pam - gardengal

Old 30-08-2004, 07:04 PM
paghat

In article jBFYc.259118$eM2.204238@attbi_s51, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

"Tess" wrote in message
[...]

I never thought of using helianthemums as cascaders but sounds like a
great idea for shorter cascades. I have a nice collection of sunroses,
their flowering is just so spectacular, & their various shades of nearly
evergreen foliage pleasing even through winter. I never quite positioned
them to see a cascading effect but I can see they'd do that, though in
most cases only to a one or two foot drop. Some few of mine were in spots
that over time were getting too little sun because of the growth of larger
shrubs eventually overshadowing them, so I've been planning to move some
of the worst-positioned ones that were stunty or less flowerful this year,
to a newly raised garden with stacked-rock ledge where they should never
become shaded. If they spill down that a foot or so, the entire ledge may
be invisible next year.