Old 30-08-2004, 03:54 AM
sams

Default Japanese Maple - upright type Bloodgood

What soil PH should have for BloodGood Japanese Maple (upright).
Is partial sun is Ok for them OR it need to be in the full sun? I am
in NorthEast Zone 6. I have a spot in the front yard corner in North
Eastern direction where it get good shade after 2 pm. Should it be OK
in winter? since I think this will be direct to the elements in
winter. How faraway it should be from the house, 6-7' ok?

Appreciate any help.

Regards

Sam
Old 30-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Pam - gardengal

"sams" wrote in message
om...
What soil PH should have for BloodGood Japanese Maple (upright).
Is partial sun is Ok for them OR it need to be in the full sun? I am
in NorthEast Zone 6. I have a spot in the front yard corner in North
Eastern direction where it get good shade after 2 pm. Should it be OK
in winter? since I think this will be direct to the elements in
winter. How faraway it should be from the house, 6-7' ok?

Part sun is fine for any Japanese maple, although Bloodgood tends to be very
sun tolerant and will take full sun easily. Soil should be very well
draining but pH requirements are not absolute - a slighty acidic to neutral
soil in the 6.0 to 7.0 range will be fine. 6-7' is a little too close to the
house, IMO. Bloodgoods are goodsized for J. maples and can easily develop a
canopy spread of 15-20'. You want to site it where there is no chance of
the branches encountering any obstruction with the roof or other parts of
the building - 10' would be better.

pam - gardengal