Old 23-09-2004, 02:49 AM
Patrick

Default Lots Of Snow Flakes, But No Snowballs

Hi, it's me again. I have two Japanese Snowball bushes in my
backyard. They are on opposite sides on my lot and both were planted
in a mostly sunny area. (Note: I live in Florida's panhandle.) Both
were planted with a good helping of peat moss around the roots. Both
have grown rather quickly, one a bit faster than the other though, but
both are over 5-feet tall. Neither, however, have big round
snowball-shaped flowers, instead both have a lot of little "snowflake"
flowers. What do these bushes need to turn their snowflakes into
snowballs?

Patrick
Old 23-09-2004, 04:37 AM
Marley1372

Are they labled with a botanical name?? If we are talking about Viburnum
plicatum(japanese snowball Viburnum) the available cultivars do not produce
the snowball type flowers like the species does. The varieties that are
available in nurseries are actually Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum, which is
suppsed to be a better choice than the species. Sounds like you purchased the
'summer snowflake' doublefile viburnum, especially since it is still
flowering in late september. If you dont have the desired flowers now, there
is nothing you can do.

Toad
Old 24-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Joseph S. Larson

Hi Patrick,
Sounds like your Japanese Snowballs are really lacecaps, and will
always be so! Could be they were mislabelled. Enjoy them - they are
more graceful than snowballs, in my mind! Wendy

Old 26-09-2004, 02:52 AM
Patrick

"Joseph S. Larson" wrote in message ...

Hi Patrick,
Sounds like your Japanese Snowballs are really lacecaps, and will
always be so! Could be they were mislabelled. Enjoy them - they are
more graceful than snowballs, in my mind! Wendy

Hello, Wendy,

I do not know exactly what the scientific name of my Japanese
Snowballs are; however, I do know they had, and have had, snowball
shaped and sized flowers. But now, for whatever reason, the flowers
are more like flakes. Both plants still look nice, but just curious
as to why the flower size has been reduced.

Patrick