Old 29-09-2004, 01:19 AM
simy1

Shirley Hicks wrote in message . ..

But then all ash trees died within a year, due to the borer, and
suddenly they have a hole in their crop cycle. They have hammered the
raspberries and even tried a few tomatoes.

You really really need some hawks. I've just been googling squirrel
predators (the building I live in backs onto an urban conservation
area, and boy, oh boy, do we have squirrels! They scale the building
to get at my balcony tomatoes) and after checking out predators at
http://www.britishcolumbia.com/Wildl...ysquirrel.html,
it becomes pretty obvious why squirrels do so well in cities: There
isn't enough continuous habitat to support hawks! So, I guess the
longterm wildlife management question is, now to get more hawks to
live in your neighbourhood?

Shirley Hicks,
Toronto, Ontairo
TB

I got hawks. There used to be none, continuously chased away by the
crows. But then the West Nile virus came through, exterminated the
crows, and the hawks have returned. I saw a squirrel kill live (very
ipmressive), but there is still too much cover for them to be
decimated. The hawks prefer the snakes and voles out in the meadow.

"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor

Old 05-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Mike

Get a cage trap, bait it with sunflower seeds, and dunk the squirrels
in a large plastic bin of water. Dump the carcass in a plastic bag
and throw away, or you could just bury the dead squirrel for
fertilizer.

Squirrels hide and bury food all over the place, attracting rats and
mice. They also get into structures and chew on wires.

Don't believe the closet squirrel lovers who say that killing
squirrels does no good. That's a lie. The squirrel population is not
infinite. You can quickly reduce the squirrel population in your area
to zero in a short time. If later a squirrel moves it, trap it too.
Just leave the trap out and ready to go. Think about it: No sane
person would say not to trap moles, gophers, rats or mice on the
premise that there are "more out there somewhere". The funny thing is
that these same eco-nuts will object to fur trapping because it'll
cause extinction (among other things). They like to have it both
ways.