Old 27-09-2004, 03:18 PM

Default figs

I ate fresh figs for the first time in my life in Yugoslavia. we camped under a fig
tree and stood on the car to pick figs until I couldnt eat any more.
I have been determined to grow my own fresh figs. without much result ... until now.

I have a celeste fig in a large container. move it into my heated garage over
winter, back out to the back yard in spring. I finally got a ripe fig, smaller than
a large marble. the first one went to DH who "thinks" a fig tastes like those dried
up shriveled things in bag. he went wild. I got the second one. heaven.

these figs arent large. is that due to the "tree" being rather small or the type of
fig? do fig trees drop leaves due to temp or photo period?
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 28-09-2004, 05:14 PM
madgardener

go to www.onegreenworld.com and order a hardy fig for your zone. They fruit
on new wood. Mine lives outside. I started it from a rooted branch nine
years ago that my friend, Mary Emma gave me when we unwrapped her fig tree
of the snow fence filled with leaves to protect it from winter. The lower
branches had rooted in the mulch of leaves thru winter and early spring.
I've not mulched mine in seven years. And I have more figs than I can eat
right now.................
madgardener

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
wrote in message
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 29-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Zemedelec

Got three delicious figlets from my Negrone tree, which only grows to 8-10 feet
and is supposed to be hardy in NO.
zemedelec
Old 29-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Judy Cosler

squirrels and birds ate ALL of mine this year!

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:14:57 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

go to www.onegreenworld.com and order a hardy fig for your zone. They fruit
on new wood. Mine lives outside. I started it from a rooted branch nine
years ago that my friend, Mary Emma gave me when we unwrapped her fig tree
of the snow fence filled with leaves to protect it from winter. The lower
branches had rooted in the mulch of leaves thru winter and early spring.
I've not mulched mine in seven years. And I have more figs than I can eat
right now.................
madgardener

((.)) '))
((((((((
))(/)((
Old 02-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Zemedelec

interestingly, a "figa" is Italian slang for giving someone the finger. Maybe
because a very priapic Hermes was often set in orchards as a proatective
agaomst thieves.
zemedelec

[IMG] code is On

figs Judy Cosler Edible Gardening 2 01-09-2003 04:03 AM
my first figs in two years!! and some observations Madgardener Gardening 0 27-08-2003 03:32 PM
Figs DScott Texas 5 06-07-2003 02:32 AM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM