Old 27-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Twobtold

Default Merit

Hi --
I've been informed by a landscaper to apply Merit granules in the spring
to combat scale that is attacking my shrubs (Rhododendron and Andromeda, top
branches are turning black).
Doing a Google search shows Merit Systemic Insecticide Granules used to
control grubs in lawns.
My questions: Is Merit the right thing to apply? Where can I buy it if it
is appropriate? I went to Home Depot and they do not have it. Local nursery
does not carry it either.
TIA for any/all input. (Z6,NJ)
Old 27-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Pam - gardengal

The active ingredient is imidacloprid and it IS effective against
rhododendron or azalea scale. Ask for it by the chemical name or you could
look for it under a couple of other tradenames: Marathon, Admire, Premier,
or Premise. It is general use pesticide so larger garden centers should
carry it or you might be able to order it online. Be sure you read the label
carefully and apply according to directions. You can also try swabbing the
insects directly now with isopropyl alcohol.

pam - gardengal

Old 29-09-2004, 11:19 PM
Marley1372

Horticultural oil will be way cheaper, safer, and more effective.

Toad
Old 30-09-2004, 12:45 AM
StanB

Any suggestions on preventing/removing thistle?

Old 30-09-2004, 02:24 AM
Musky Lure

In article ,
"StanB" wrote:

Any suggestions on preventing/removing thistle?

Have you tried smoking it?
Old 30-09-2004, 03:12 AM
StanB

"Musky Lure" wrote in message

"StanB" wrote:

Any suggestions on preventing/removing thistle?

Have you tried smoking it?

It gives me a wicked cough. I usually just yank it whenever I see it but
those roots are pervasive.

Old 30-09-2004, 03:20 AM
Marley1372

forget what the Home Depot type stores "home name" for their product
that contains Imidacloprid are, but you may look at the true nurseries
for products of Merit II or Merit Wp or Marathon WP

Bayer advanced lawn and garden is the product that is commonly available. You
can also find it in dry formulation(meant for lawns) under various names.
Merit is a restricted use formulation of imidacloprid, it is not available to
homeowners. I still say hort oil would be a better choice for scale.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:20 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Marley1372" wrote in message
forget what the Home Depot type stores "home name" for their product
that contains Imidacloprid are, but you may look at the true nurseries
for products of Merit II or Merit Wp or Marathon WP

Merit is a restricted use formulation of imidacloprid, it is not available

homeowners. I still say hort oil would be a better choice for scale.

Merit has been released in a formulation suitable for use by homeowners and
is now a GUP. Horticultural oil is only effective against scale if one is
able to time the life cycle correctly and the scale is not hard shelled. As
a systemic, Merit (or the Bayer Advanced Lawn and Garden, Marathon, etc.) is
likely to be much more effective. As with all pesticides, read the label
carefully and follow the directions explicitly.

pam - gardengal