Old 05-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Registered User

Default overwintering bougainvillia

I purchased a bougainvillia in August and kept it outside, still in the container.
It is now Oct and the days/nights are getting too cool to leave it out and I need to bring it in, live on the west coast of Canada, (Vancouver).
What are the best ways to overwinter this plant, pruning/light/water/temp etc?

Lorsen
Old 06-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Bob H

I brought mine in at the end of September and it's dropping leaves like =
crazy. =20

What is the best lighting for it during winter? I have it near a south =
facing window where it gets maybe 2 hrs direct sun per day late =
afternoon as the soon moves across the window.

Also wondering should it make it through the winter .... what does it =
take to get it actively growing so I'll have blossoms next summer?

B H
Zone 4 - Minnesota

"Lorsen" wrote in message =
:=20
: I purchased a bougainvillia in August and kept it outside, still in =
the
: container.
: It is now Oct and the days/nights are getting too cool to leave it out
: and I need to bring it in, live on the west coast of Canada,
: (Vancouver). =20
: What are the best ways to overwinter this plant,
: pruning/light/water/temp etc?
:=20
: Lorsen
:=20
:=20
: --=20
: Lorsen
Old 06-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Gaby Chaudry

Bob H wrote:
I brought mine in at the end of September and it's dropping leaves like crazy.

How that? I put my one at a south-facing window, where it gets full sun
from about 11 a.m. till 5 p.m. It's blooming like crazy.

I pruned it (I cut away about half of the plant...) and brought it in in
September. I'm in zone 6b (Munich, Germany), but we already had quite
cold nights lately.

I'd recommend to overwinter it at about 15-18 degrees* (can also be
more), with as much light as possible (check for spider mites!). Water
when it looks thursty
I already tried to overwinter a Bougainvillea at 10-15 degrees*, but I
killed it this way...
Bring it out again when night temperatures don't drop below about 10
degrees*. They are very sensitive in our climates..

*Celsius, of course....

Bye, Gaby

--
Mrs. Gaby Chaudry